1977 review by Ash

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
Ash: 1977

This album has a very raw sound. It's just loud and energetic. The guitar solos are awesome like in "Lose Control", there are a lot of distortion and wah-wah effects. Tim is an amazing guitarist, much better than most modern guitarists. The drums have that in-your-face snare sound and there are plenty of fast fills which are perfect for this kind of music. The bass stays in the background for this album but keeps a nice bottom end.

The lyrics are the usual pop/punk stuff, Tim mostly sings about girls. The songs are less catchy on this album, it's better to just play this CD loud and rock out. I like Tim's voice on this album, it's very "calm" and less poppy than other albums. I like the way his voice sounds with the energetic music.

'1997' is my favorite album by Ash. I love the raw, energetic sound. My favorite songs are "Lose Control", "Kung Fu", and "Darkside Lightside". For some people this album might sound too bland because there isn't too much variety. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy this again because not many other bands have the same sense of energy.