Free All Angels review by Ash

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
Ash: Free All Angels

After Nu-Clear Sounds Ash decided to go back to there pop-punk style and came out with this absolute scorcher of an album. The music was brilliant and every single track was a masterpiece. Two fingers to those who had written them off. Recorded while they were 1000 pounds from bankrupcy it saved there careers. Having got rid of the DJ it sounded much more polished than previous albums.

The lyrics on this album where absolutely astonishing. Even winning Tim Wheeler a 'Best Contemporary Song' award at the British Academy Of Composers And Songwriters 'Ivor Novello Awards' for Shining Light! His voice was finally at its peak and Charlotte Hatherleys backing vocals were brilliant. Tim proved finally that he was among the best singers/songwriters in the world. Heres a sample: You walk like your in a daze, unresponsive eyes and a distant gaze, tumbling like the leaves, yeah we were spiralling on the breeze almost to the point of no return everything must burn baby burn.

This is Ash's finest hour and the best album I own. All the songs (apart from 'Someday') are absolutely amazing. With 6 top 20 singles (Shining Light, Burn Baby Burn, Sometimes, Theres A Star, Candy, Walking Barefoot) and beating Janet Jackson to the number one spot it is just brilliant. Other standouts include 'Nicole' and 'World Domination'. If I lost this I would have to buy it again.