Autobiography review by Ashlee Simpson

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
Ashlee Simpson: Autobiography

First of all, Ashlee's sound can in no way be compared to her sisters. My first impression of her first single, "Pieces of Me", was that she was a pop singer for the 12 year old girls who can't handle punk but want to seem more hardcore. Whatever. The rest of "Autobiography" however, reminded me tremendously of Courtney Love. Which is good if you like Courtney. I'm not a big fan.

A rare thing for pop singers these days, Ashlee co-writes every song on the album. She's not tremendously talented, but it still counts for something. Also, unlike the typical pop songs, they aren't all "I love you", "I hate you", "You broke my heart and now you're going to pay", blah blah blah. One song in particular, "Shadow", was about trying to find her own identity while growing up in her sisters shadow (go figure). Her singing isn't anything to brag about, but she does have a wide range for an alto singer and she uses her range in every song very well.

Not being a fan of pop music myself, in my opinion she is the best out there at the moment. The songs that stick out the most are "LaLa" which has a tendency to get stuck in your head really easily and "Shadow" is going to be her next single for a reason, it's a very good song. All in all, a pretty good album, not the best and not my favorite genre, but still something to talk about. After all, you can't sell 368,000 albums the first week of release and debut as the number one album on Billboard and be bad. Right?