Autobiography review by Ashlee Simpson

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
Ashlee Simpson: Autobiography

Disturbingly enough, the sound on this album was so catchy and addictive that I couldn't help loving it. It's a blend of pop/rock, with a lot of infectious guitar hooks, bass complying with the other instruments, with a relevant existence of its own, and drums adding the needed beats to the sound. Ashlee's voice is actually very well incorporated into the music.

Being a 'sensitive' girl myself, I'm well in place with the lyrics, which Ashlee did co-write. It's a love album-songs of heartbreak and loving. Fortunately, the love lyrics aren't sappy though, as one might think-there's a sense of introspective in them, more than just about 13-year old crushes on guys in school who've probably haven't hit puberty yet, or maybe just Jesse McCartney. Singing skills, despite the SNL fiasco, Ashlee does sing live in her concerts, and she can sing. I love her voice-kinda deep and rusty/sandy without sounding like a crackhead 50-year old man. It doesn't make your ears ache like Clay Aiken or Amy Lee. Only thing is I don't really like an entire album on the same topic.

Nicely crafted album, I think fans of Avril Lavigne would love it, though I'd personally take Avril's albums anyday. More of a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't exactly go up to a random person and go "hey, the Ashlee Simpson album is rockin'!" I'm impressed because it's a great album for a debut, and she does have skill. Fave songs are "Autobiography" and "LaLa." I love that they're songs about heartbreak, but they're so catchy it gets you on an upbeat mode, and I like music from Transplants and Metallica but I'm falling for this album. If it were stolen, I might buy it again, though the album I'm listening to is borrowed from someone.