Autobiography review by Ashlee Simpson

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Ashlee Simpson: Autobiography

She is the sister of teen pop sensation Jessica Simpson, so I should completely hate the f--k out of her. But there's something about her that makes me kind of think she's sort of okay. Ya know that kind of music that isn't the best you've heard, but you can't stop listening to? That's what it is for me. Hmm, could be subliminal messages. Bah, doubt it, a Simpson sister is a bit too dumb to think that up. As for the sound. It sounds pretty good on some of the more rock-flavoured songs, like Lala, Autobiography and Love Me For Me. I was a bit disappointed with the song Love Makes The World Go Round. All the songs I've heard like that were decent, but this one stank more than death metal talks about the apocalypse. Seriously. But I appreciate the fact that the guitars in the above mentioned songs are pretty cool.

Since Ashlee co-wrote the album. I respect her lyrically, although some of her lyrics can get juvenile. Such as in the song Pieces Of Me, "fall sometimes I fall so fast, I can hardly catch my breath I hope it lasts." These lyrics sound like they should be coming out of a pen held by a thirteen year old teeny bopper. And that's not good for two reasons: Ashlee is nineteen and her record label is trying to portray her as a punk rock chick (do they even know what punk rock chicks are? Geeze, it seems like they don't). Overall I would have to say the lyrics are pretty awesome though, all things considered. Apart from a few juvenile lyrics, a lot of it just gives that angst-y impression that most music is doing these days.

Ashlee is way better than the likes of Hilary Duff and Jojo, I must say. At least she's a bit more interesting as a person, and doesn't try to act all goody-goody then try to look all bad. She just kind of is there. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. The most impressive songs on the album are "Undiscovered," "Autobiography," "Lala" and "Love Me For Me." I love that she has a unique voice, but I hate that a lot of the music is repetitive and boring, and sounds like a lot of the music from your basic carbon-copy top forty artists these days. If someone stole my CD, I wouldn't be devastated, but since I like some of the songs on it, I might buy it again. Unless they end up raising the price above twenty dollars. That's pretty much all it's worth.