Autobiography review by Ashlee Simpson

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Ashlee Simpson: Autobiography

Is this supposed to be some punk/metal/emo album or what? You can tell that she tries very hard to sound "in the scene" or punk, whatever you might want to call it. But in the end, it sounds just as generic as you expect it to be. I'm sure you've heard "lala." Any self-respecting musician will recognize the chords immediately. Anyone can hold G major, a minor, blast the volume on a mesa boogie dual rectifier head, and sound good. But because her last name is Simpson and she happens to have a hot famous sister, it is supposed to be fresh and innovative. Sad.

"You make me wanna lala" - 'nuff said. No song should contain those words ever again. And that yell, it truly is torture to the ears. She's a sad, pathetic excuse for an artist. Her lyrics are horrid and just to prove that point, here's an example: "You make me wanna lala, in the kitchen on the floor, I'll be your French maid where I meet you at the door, I'm like an alley cat, d rink the milk up I want more..." Did she just say alley cat, French maid, and lala all in the same chorus?

A horrible, horrible, poser album that does not know whether it wants to be punk, pop, or rock. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy this album. She has enough money.