I Am Me review by Ashlee Simpson

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Ashlee Simpson: I Am Me

I am Me is Ashlee Simpson's means of putting herself out their once again for listeners to either love or hate. She has grown more so on this album and it does seem to show. Her band itself is fairly simple, nothing really difficult about the sound, but the tracks themselves are quite hard to get out of your mind. The song "Boyfriend" is a perfect example as that opening riff was locked so hard in my brain I had to find a tab on how to play it. The cd itself is a mix of sorts. You can have a up beat song like "Boyfriend" then go across into a song that blends in some hip-hop into it like "L.O.V.E." and then go into something very soft and meaningful like "Catch Me When I Fall." Overall for fans of Ashlee, your not going to be dissappointed when you have a listen to this. For everyone else, listen with the warning, you may not be able to get the tracks out of your brain for weeks on end, and it's a good thing.

Ashlee has grown in this respect also, as you can draw meaning out of her lyrics. The fact her voice has healed up nicely doesn't hurt her to much either. As an example the track "Catch Me When I Fall" was wrote after Ashlee's first go at Saturday Night Live, where the world caught her little audio slip up. The lyrics speak about what was going through her mind after the fact and even as soon as it happened. It draws you to feel empathetic for her, to put yourself into her shoes and think what you would have done in that situation. With the song "Boyfriend" she may be diving back into the old issues in her life and just simply saying "I didn't steal your boyfriend." Hell she can even do a little bit of hip-hop into her voice on the track "L.O.V.E." that may be the only thing I'd advize you to watch out for. Ashlee is gearing towards a more heartfelt feel with her lyrics on "I Am Me" drawing the listener to understand her as an artist better then they may have prior to listening.

"I Am Me" defines Ashlee Simpson as a artist, song writter and person. She sticks her neck out their once again just to show everyone she hasen't had her fill as an artist to just say "Yeah, I'm done now." Compare this to her first album "Autobiography" and their is an apperent difference in her outlook and her style as an artist. The most impressive songs on this cd, for me personally are: "Boyfriend" thanks to the guitar riff that sticks with you. "Beautifully Broken" for its soft feel and matching lyrics. "Catch Me When I Fall" thanks to her deep thought into the lyrics. If the cd itself were stolen would I go and buy it again? Thats a tough question, since from word go I'm slightly freaked out that I got it in the first place but hey she's that girl you just can't really ignore, so why not. "I Am Me" will surely be a good addition to your CD collection if your up for giving her another shot, what do you have to lose?