I Am Me Review

7.1
 7.4
 6.8
I Am Me Reviewed by: MisguidedAngel, on october 15, 2005

Sound: I am Me is Ashlee Simpson's means of putting herself out their once again for listeners to either love or hate. She has grown more so on this album and it does seem to show. Her band itself is fairly simple, nothing really difficult about the sound, but the tracks themselves are quite hard to get out of your mind. The song "Boyfriend" is a perfect example as that opening riff was locked so hard in my brain I had to find a tab on how to play it. The cd itself is a mix of sorts. You can have a up beat song like "Boyfriend" then go across into a song that blends in some hip-hop into it like "L.O.V.E." and then go into something very soft and meaningful like "Catch Me When I Fall." Overall for fans of Ashlee, your not going to be dissappointed when you have a listen to this. For everyone else, listen with the warning, you may not be able to get the tracks out of your brain for weeks on end, and it's a good thing. // 8

Lyrics: Ashlee has grown in this respect also, as you can draw meaning out of her lyrics. The fact her voice has healed up nicely doesn't hurt her to much either. As an example the track "Catch Me When I Fall" was wrote after Ashlee's first go at Saturday Night Live, where the world caught her little audio slip up. The lyrics speak about what was going through her mind after the fact and even as soon as it happened. It draws you to feel empathetic for her, to put yourself into her shoes and think what you would have done in that situation. With the song "Boyfriend" she may be diving back into the old issues in her life and just simply saying "I didn't steal your boyfriend." Hell she can even do a little bit of hip-hop into her voice on the track "L.O.V.E." that may be the only thing I'd advize you to watch out for. Ashlee is gearing towards a more heartfelt feel with her lyrics on "I Am Me" drawing the listener to understand her as an artist better then they may have prior to listening. // 9

Overall Impression: "I Am Me" defines Ashlee Simpson as a artist, song writter and person. She sticks her neck out their once again just to show everyone she hasen't had her fill as an artist to just say "Yeah, I'm done now." Compare this to her first album "Autobiography" and their is an apperent difference in her outlook and her style as an artist. The most impressive songs on this cd, for me personally are: "Boyfriend" thanks to the guitar riff that sticks with you. "Beautifully Broken" for its soft feel and matching lyrics. "Catch Me When I Fall" thanks to her deep thought into the lyrics. If the cd itself were stolen would I go and buy it again? Thats a tough question, since from word go I'm slightly freaked out that I got it in the first place but hey she's that girl you just can't really ignore, so why not. "I Am Me" will surely be a good addition to your CD collection if your up for giving her another shot, what do you have to lose? // 9

I Am Me Reviewed by: fallinsuburbia, on december 27, 2005

Sound: Does anyone care about her anymore. I know I don't but I saw the rating for this CD and I thought it was time for me to send another review in. I was about as pleased with this CD as I was to the last one. She can't sing, dance, or make a half-decent CD. Does anyone remember her snafu on SNL? I know I do, partly because I have it recorded so I can watch it over and over again. So people who are reading this and are thinking, "I'm going to hunt this guy down." Think about it. Why did you buy this cd if she can't sing? Why do you still listen to it? Why don't you return it and spend the money on something good? I could make a better song. Find three or four chords and just play them in a different order each time. // 1

Lyrics: Well let's face it ashlee, we really don't care about whether or not you stole our boyfriend. That's fine with me, I don't have much intention of stealing yours either. This CD was as much a winner as the first. I hope she didn't write the lyrics herself. I have seen four-year olds make better poems than she can. As long as she can carry a slight tune with vaguely rhyming words, she makes another million. // 1

Overall Impression: Most impressive songs? None. What do I love? Nothing. What do I hate? this CD and ashlee. If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? I would gladly have it stolen. If it were lost I would say thank you to whatever it fell under or behind. // 1

I Am Me Reviewed by: The_cool_one, on february 02, 2006

Sound: Ashlee Simpson is one the awesomest persons out there! She's alot better that her preppy sister, I ain't saying I don't like her sister, but I like her alot more that Jessica. Her album is very good, probably better that the first. Actually yes it is better that the first! And those of you that keep hattin on her need to just let it go, ya'll keep bringin up her "Lip Synching On Saturday Night Live" you need to just drop it. It was in the past and it need to just stay in the past and you need to get over yourself and actually listen to her songs and maybe the you'll realize that she's awesome! She is a very good singer and she only Lip Synched that one time, and she came back a year or two later and performed again. "And this time she didn't lip-synch" and she doesn't anyways at her concert or anytime the only time sheever did was in SNL. But keep bringing that up! // 10

Lyrics: Her lyrics are awesome! She has a really good vocal range. I like how she has a raspy kind of voice. My favorites are: "Boyfriend," "Love" and "Coming Back For More!" If you would listen to the album instead of talking bad about it then you would see what I mean. But I love how she writes her own songs. My personal favorite she's ever wrote is Shadow which is about the down side of a famous older sister. I even have that as my ring tone on my cell along with Lala and Pieces Of Me! She had a lot of skill. She's amazing, her sister is more pop and she's is more punk-rock. I like how there completly different but yet they get along just fine. Some of you compare her to Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan. Well Hilary Duff is just a wanna be punk rocker but she's really prep and Lindsay Lohan tries to be a rocker too but she just can't pull that off she's more preppy to. She doesn't have any good music either just like Hilary! So don't even compare awesome Ashlee to loser Hilary, Lindsay Lohan is alright, don't like her music, but she's kind of alright (I just like the movie "Mean Girls"). // 10

Overall Impression: Ashlee's CD rock and it got lost I would buy it. But I wouldn't lose it and it wouldn't get stolen either 'cause it never leaves my CD player! So you people who don't like. Get over it 'cause she's here to stay! // 10

I Am Me Reviewed by: guitarist.4.evr, on may 01, 2006

Sound: I love the sound of this CD. Except for L.O.V.E because it has kind of a hip hop thing to it. But mostly it's awesome. Has some cool guitar in it, like on 'boyfriend' and 'beautifully broken.' I love beautifully broken! But Ashlee is one of the best female artists I know. And all the haters keep bringing up the 'lip scynching thing. whatever. She only did once. And most of the performers on SNL do lyp synch. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics. She sings true to her heart, not like rap. Where you sing about girls and shizzle and dizzle and whatever. But things that actually happen. She has amazing skill with singing. Whether its hip-hop like 'Love' or a song like 'Catch Me When I Fall.' Overall she has an awesome voice. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of Ashlee Simpson is that she's awesome. If it were lost or stolen I would defenetly buy it again. But if I were comparing it to Lynyrd Skynyrd or a southern rocker like that I would pick Lynyrd Skynyrd. But I don't care she's still awesome. // 10

I Am Me Reviewed by: minoti, on june 09, 2006

Sound: Famous for lip syncing on Saturday Night Live. Just Jessica Simpson's little sister. Not true. Ashlee Simpson is so much more than all that. She may be a 'wannabe rocker' but it suits her personality, voice and music. And even though Ashlee's voice sounds quite screechy at times, she has composed most of the songs on this album, which shows that she has some talent. The songs are catchy, upbeat and talk of things that people can idenitify with. I wouldn't say that the album is of best quality, but it's pretty good. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are alright. The best song with regards to lyrics would have to be 'Catch Me When I Fall' which Ashlee wrote and then sang on Saturday Night Live a year after her unfortunate lip syncing accident. 'Dancing Alone', 'Eyes Wide Open' and 'I Am Me' are some of the other songs on this album that are above average when it comes to music and lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: As an artist, Ashlee is just okay. She's not great, but she's not bad either. There are a ton of other artists out there who are much worse than Ashlee is. Then again, there are even more artists that are much better. Even so, Ashlee deserves some credit. This album is much better than her first one and it shows that she has potential. The best tracks include 'Burning Up', 'Dancing Alone' and 'Catch Me When I Fall'. However, if this album were lost/stolen, I wouldnt bother to buy it again. // 7

Comments