Reckless & Relentless review by Asking Alexandria

• Released: Apr 5, 2011
Asking Alexandria: Reckless & Relentless

There are only so many directions a Metalcore band can take before wearing out their sound and becoming monotenous. It's happened to some of the best in the game, even. Clearly, Asking Alexandria are fighting very hard not to be lumped in that category, because their new album, Reckless And Relentless takes as many steps away from thier debut as possible. The overall result is an album that's heavy, raw, and begging to be played as loud as you can get it. The intro, properly titled "Welcome" brings in the new sound, starting deceptively calm, and veering into a punishing breakdown (a sign of what is, most certainly, to come). The next few tracks show off AA's heavy side, with crunchy guitar lines and tremollo leads a'plenty. And most certainly unlike some contemporaries, keyboard lines are executed not only well, but in a manner that they make the sound all the more epic. The most surprising element, to me, is the inclusion of a few really decent guitar solos. Apparently all the Skid Row worship broke through into their music, prompting them to stay away from just breakdowns and octaves. The downside to all of this is that the songs, very like their first album, can come off as sounding far too similar at points. Listening at a distance I can missmatch breakdowns from songs to ones on the complete opposite end of the album. All in all though, this is a drastic improvement upon Stand Up And Scream musically.

Love him, or hate him, Danny is an amazing vocalist. His bellows are fierce and gritty, screams sharp as knives, and melodious lines perfectly executed. He has improved a lot since the last album, favoring the low end growls over higher screams, which matches the heavier tone of the band very well. One of the vocal highlights is the song To The Stage, which showcases Danny displaying all his vocal techniques with supurb mastery. Lyrically, this album is surprisingly strong. Subject matter is very diverse, going from God (What a way to end the world/With false hope in a false god - Morte Et Dabo), self loathing (I spend my days looking through pages/Trying to find a way to get away from me - Breathless), and the vigors of touring (Even though I'm on my own/ I know I'm not alone/Cause I know there's someone, somewhere/Waiting when I make it home - Someone, Somewhere). This is far more than 12 tracks of lovesick emo-metalcore: the passion of the lyrics, backed up by outstanding delivery, makes vocals a true highpoint on this album.

Reckless and Relentless may be the metalcore jem of the year with its varried atmosphere, vigorously passionate delivery, and all around better approach than that of almost every band in this scene. Asking Alexandria have truly suceeded in making an album that unlike those of others, could quite possibly stand the test of time and become a milestone for the genre. While there are quite a few people that find this band absolutely attrocious, R&R may just turn some haters into fans, and for the ones it doesn't, they obviously are missing out on a brilliant piece of work. For fans of: "Zombie" era The Devil Wears Prada, early Bring Me The Horizon, Miss May I.

elloel
    mynamehere040
    I love AA, a lot, and I also love what many of you would call "true metal." Metalcore now is like nu metal was 10-15 years ago. It's not exactly great music, a lot of it can sound the same, but it's entertaining for a lot of people, particularly younger fans. This isn't mature music. It's not necessarily even GOOD music. It's entertainment. So some scene kid thinks Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom are shit. Who cares? You think Bring Me The Horizon and AA are shit. If I pointed out every flaw in the bands you listen to they'd probably be the same in number as in many of the bands you trash. Opinions are opinions. Just don't let music become personal.
    CFH-For-Life
    mynamehere040
    jetfuel495 wrote: Checked. Guys, quit with the internet tough guy talk about people needing to be shot. It's pretty immature.
    +1 Guys, just let it go. You stand behind your keyboards and you act high and mighty and claim that Metallica is the greatest band ever and everyone else just isn't worth listening to, except your obscure Finnish melodeath bands and your precious prog-metal *cough BTBAM cough*. I'll be honest, I like all of those genres/bands, and I also like Asking Alexandria. It's music, guys, entertainment. You get more defensive over your precious genre lines than you do over religion or politics. I'm done arguing. I'm just about done with this damn site, because for every good review or article there's about a million *****s who don't know how to do anything but troll every band they don't like.
    MaestroMikhial
    courageous93
    ESPRyuu16
    MaestroMikhial wrote: elloel wrote: Zan595 : Scene kid music. /sigh Anyone who calls this metal deserves to be shot. It's just synth and chugs... You dislike music because scene kids like it? Please come back when you're done with high school and when you're able to make up an opinion thats not superficial. Listen comma bitch. He never said he disliked it, although I wouldn't blame him. Because it's terrible. I saw them live [unfortunately] over the summer, and not only are they terrible, but they don't give two shits about their fans. They'd rather chill on their tour bus and get drunk alone than meet their fans which; EVERY other band there managed to do. Point of fact: Asking Alexandria is terrible, even if you think they're not. They will make your balls retract into themselves and implode, so for the sake of your balls: don't listen to this band or care about them. It will make you less of a man, and that's ****ing GHEY. And if you're a woman. you'll grow a penis and it will fall off shortly thereafter as a result of how gay it is. Ok, the end. BTBAM rules.
    hahahahahahahaha XDD +100 and i agree BTBAM is beastly!
    Sam Wotrey
    EpiExplorer wrote: Never ever ever have I ever wanted a band dead more than these bunch of nonces. Awful music, awful names, awful everything.. cant even get past the first 10 seconds of a song without them turning it into breakdowns. Thats all this is, every song is one extended breakdown with cheesy pop synths.
    If it's a metalcore album review, you better believe EpiExplorer is jumping on the hatewagon. I do agree though.
    the_burning_one
    Shitty screaming in the verse? Incredibly pussy ass whiny singing in the chorus? Extended cheesy breakdowns throughout? No one has EVER thought of this kind of thing before!
    mysticguitar77
    Upmix
    M3lodeath wrote: Title copy off children of bodom? Relentless reckless forever?
    lol, it looks quite obvious yeah
    Mobby32
    maybe not shoot them at first lol. give them a chance show them some megadeth or something. and if they are stubborn little Sh*ts about getting into other metal. well then we load our guns
    Amuro Jay
    ADTRrocks2
    look, asking alexandria is a good band. i enjoy them, both albums too,thats a shocker. slayer is a good band i enjoy them. children of bodom is good too. Lady gaga is a good artist. Kid cudi is a good artist. Linkin park is a good band. i could keep going on with this, but my point is, they all have one thing in common, they are all different. music is music. this is good music, quit cryin if you don't like them, listen to something else. and i sear to god i dont understand how you guys can say AA is scene. what scene kid does all the shit the singer danny does anyway? none cause, 95% of em are all straightedge. Anyways thats beside the point, being scene or not, that shouldn't affect your opinion of their music people. now either kindly appreciate or GTFO.
    ninjagayden777
    The one thing I hate the most about this site is the damn metal elitists. Yes, there are different kinds of music out there. No, they aren't all subject to your "high and mighty" opinion. Best to ignore the trolls and move on, but it gets pretty hard when a good 90 percent of this site will bash whatever "scene" bands make a decent release. It honestly makes you look like an ignorant fool, and annoys the hell out of people that came to the page for an honest review, not 90+ comments devoted to trolling.
    Nirvana00125
    Noname3415 wrote: It's extremely funny how ignorant some people are. Being a fan of Asking Alexandria I admit they aren't terribly unique and they're musicianship through their instruments isn't mindblowing. But the vocals are GREAT and CATCHY as well as the breakdowns. What happened to liking music for its sound? Eventually everything is going to sound the same. When I want to listen to great unique melodic guitars/drums I'll listen to say August Burns Red, Miss May I, Protest the Hero, As I lay Dying, etc. When I want to listen to catchy vocals and raw, "brutal" breakdowns, I'll listen to Asking Alexandria. Open your f**king minds. And all of this sh*t about stealing COB's new album name is horseshit. AA announced the name of the album well over 4 or 5 months ago. I'm not a big fan of "Synthcore" douche bag bands, and these guys have definitely matured away from that label. There are maybe 3 synth parts spread FAR apart between 12 songs.
    "Raw, brutal breakdowns." Sir, have you ever heard of the bands Between the Buried and Me, Prayer for Cleansing, Suffocation, Or hell, even Torso****? Do not tell me you seriously consider Asking Alexandria to have "brutal" breakdowns. BTW: Singing about girlfriends they had when they were 16 with synth in the background and being drunken failures does not make for a quality band.
    qwertyguitar34
    stand up and scream had some great songs, but others in the album like Not the American Average were just disgusting.. i mean why speak about sex? its not like every other single rap and hip hop song has got that covered /sarcasm. this album is, in my opinion, is a satisfactory follow up to stand up and scream. songs structured better, lyrics (most)more meaningful. they have more variety in this album. there are some songs relatively softer than others, such as somewhere, somewhere. and more integration of piano and synth and for those who bashed AA, remember that theyre not as terrible as the auto-tune "screamo/core" Attack Attack, abandon all ships type thing. Asking Alexandria's vocals are real. and the band overall has talent...
    BurstOfJazzines
    Campbell22 wrote: You guys quit whinning about Asking Alexandria, those mother****ers make QUALITY metalcore, oh yeah I said it, this album is ****in grear, this album absolutly DESTROYS every other metalcore bands, or deathcore band out there, its artistic, its creative, so now stfu and go back being your internet troll whinning cuz they have absolutly no talent whatsoever and are never going to make it big.
    U Mad Bro?
    riku2k10
    I'm a huge fan of Traditional metal, and no, this band doesn't exactly break boundaries, but there is something here. Don't go around bashing other people for what they like. It's like musical bigotry. Just do your own thing and ignore it if you don't like it. Thank you for your time, have a very metal day.
    captainsnazz
    I saw this band live and although I don't think they are the worst band in the world, it was definitely the worst gig I've ever been to. The members were paying no attention to each other and it wasn't very tight at all. But most of all the singer is the most obscene, abrasive person I've ever encountered. He spent most of the set talking about how drunk he gets all the time and asking female audience members to come to him for sex afterwards. Bear in mind that the average age of the audience was around 15. Nevertheless, I'll have to check this out. I find their other album just about listenable and maybe they have matured.
    tancanada
    TPGman wrote: This album was very disappointing. Their Debut album was, in my opinion, one of the best in the industry. But the addition of the new BMTH-style screams really destroys the entire thing. The only good song is "Morte et Dabo" and I can already start to feel it getting old. Let's face it. Post-hardcore is starting to die, we need somebody to try something new and keep it fresh.
    No. Their debut album was quite possibly the most generic thing I have ever listened to. At least they attempted to change things up on this album. Plus, this whole genre's been dead for quite a while. I would even say that Asking Alexandria is one of the bands to put the nail in the genre's coffin even, so to speak.
    guitaristren
    courageous93 wrote: Saw the title. Children of Bodom. TOO coincidental. TOOOOO coincidental. "Endgame" by Rise Against and Megadeth was one thing. This is just... I quit. I quit, UG.
    I noticed that too. What a shame.
    metallica-#1
    hahaha! i agree tho, to some extent
    CapnKickass
    Listening to the stuff on myspace... MAN! It was like: Du..Dududududu...dudu...dudududududu..
    dribbelfan
    May i ask what metal is to you then? Iron Maiden? Metallica? If you can't hear those influences in the metalcore your'e f*cking mental!
    iammclovin
    Awesome album, it leaked Friday but I didn't have a chance to check it out until Saturday because the new Foo Fighters leaked on the same day. Great album and a good step forward musically for them.
    iammclovin
    Zan595 wrote: Scene kid music. /sigh Anyone who calls this metal deserves to be shot. It's just synth and chugs...
    You'd better start loading your guns dude, I don't consider this metal, but I'm sure there are tons of AA fans who do.
    SumFX
    CFH-For-Life wrote: Dude, **** YOU *****s. I just started listening to this band a few weeks ago and there not bad, there not amazing or anything, but there not bad. This band is ridiculously talented, especially the singer, and can put on a great live show. What is the point in coming in this page to talk shit about a band you dont like? What was your motivation? To make yourself feel better because, as much as you hate these guys, there still doing better with their lives than any of us ever could and making way more money DOING WHAT THEY LOVE. My god, if I had a dollar for every ignorant statement made about a band...
    1. People are entitled to their own opinion 2. You need to grow out of the idea that musicians are loaded.
    Bananafish003
    benforcer
    It's not that it's ****ing horrible, but uninspiring. There isn't anything here really that refreshing. Plus, i hate synth/breakdown shit.
    Bananafish003
    Metallidethium wrote: Bananafish003 : Oh, sorry, I should point out, I'm not a "hater". I love metalcore, if it's written well. Go check out Refused, The Fall Of Troy and Protest The Hero. Those guys know what they're doing. AA sounds to me like just another mainstream metalcore band trying to appeal to the masses. Maybe it's a good thing, like a gateway band, leading people to eventually listen to those great bands you named =).
    I hope so. But it still means that AA is getting money and attention they don't really deserve...ah, I'll let it rest for now.
    Nieper
    mysticguitar77 wrote: Eh, not my style of metalcore. I listened to one of their songs and from the moment the vocalist started, I was immediately turned off by it. But, it is metal regardless. The people who say it isn't are the metalhead elitists who don't believe -core genres and nu-metal are actual metal even though both are heavily, heavily influenced by "actual" metal and share many of the same characteristics of "actual" metal. They don't like it so it's not metal in their eyes. Just call them out on their ignorance, they're just in denial.
    THANK YOU!!
    Metallidethium
    lethaldosage45
    metal_cobs wrote: They couldn't have gotten a different album name instead of pulling a Rise Against on Children Of Bodom?
    My thoughts exactly!
    mpastrick
    Thank you to everyone who is actually a metal fan and a fan of AA/the metalcore genre for commenting. Everyone else, why waste your time thrashing? Its music, we're all in the same boat. its just a little thing called respect. Thanks AA fans and everyone respectful to our reviews, you dont have to like it, just Respect it.
    Metallidethium
    I don't get why everyone is bringing up Bring Me The Horizon in such a negative way. Their first album was borderline deathcore and their last two releases have a unique sound when compared to other bands in the metalcore genre. Also, can we all please just grow up and realize that everyone has their own tastes and their own opinions of what true metal is. Any subgenre of heavy metal is up for debate as to whether or not it is real metal so why get violent about it? That aside, I saw Asking Alexandria a couple of weeks ago and they disappointed me so much that it really killed my impression of them. They ARE all douche bags, especially their lead singer. This album however is a pretty solid release from them and a step in the right direction with a little more versatility than Stand Up and Scream.
    Jfonzxxx
    Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I love this cd for what it is and that's that.... if you don't, than don't listen to it and go on with your day
    DiegoAngeles
    I listen to a couple of songs on this record, and all I can say is that they make generic songs, full of screams and full of breakdowns; this band is like Bring Me The Horizon, and yes you guess it and I don't like both; people don't bash this band because how it looks or their "genre", just say you opinion about the music and about the songs on the record. I give this album a 3/10 being a nice person.
    Dark_Raven10
    Too bad children of Bodom stole the title after it was already released that AA had chosen that.
    SkylitGavin
    While they're not my favorite band I did enjoy their earlier release, checking this out
    mpedara429
    Zan595 wrote: It's just synth and chugs...
    It seems like everybody from the wrong crowd decided to comment about this review. I love a great guitar solo, but if all that everybody listened was guitar solos then we would all be bored to tears. It is nice to have a little chug in your life from time to time. There are plenty of "metal" bands who do a lot of chugging. Metallica was and still is notorious for chugging. So all of the "metal" fans posting about how awful Asking Alexandria are because of their chugging are speaking out of turn.