Stand Up and Scream review by Asking Alexandria

• Released: Aug 25, 2010
Asking Alexandria: Stand Up and Scream

The last band I reviewed was Hardcore Metalphonic Sybreed, with their influences being both Metal and Electronic at the same time. Asking Alexandria have this exact same feel, the dance your ass off, bang your head till you neck breaks music that keeps the energy flowing and the rhythms in motion.

The whole album flows beautifully with every beat precise and every melody created perfectly. The harmonies provided by the band are in such sync it creates a beautifully made song. Chiodos with a little more actual hardcore tones you could argue. The symphonic keyboard melodies are very dramatic and give the listener an apocalyptic type feeling. This is obviously what a hardcore fan wants to feel, and a band should do this, because it works.

Asking Alexandria may look like the nowadays current Hairmetal or the long overdue emo rock band, but their music is straight hard with a kick of fun in every second. This can be seen in songs like Hey There Mr. Brooks and A Prophecy and virtually every other song. The band even adds mathcore/deathcore riffs to their songs, seen in When Everyday is the Weekend. This song shows off the entire band's skill musically, with the bassist playing the very fast riff the guitarists are playing, and drums smashing through the headphones perfectly. The synthesizers are beautifully created in this song as well, giving it a fast paced retro dance video game style along with the perfectly fit metal.

The titles of the songs throw you off, with many bands having these silly ironic and somewhat childish names. Such as If You Can't Ride Two Horses At Once You Should Get Out Of The Circus.

Luckily the singers can make up for it with nice well formed screams and a decent sense of singing. It is only decent because this type of singing has been done before way too much. It works well with the music which creates a better sense of music then a sense of singing/screaming. The problem is so many bands do this high pitched singing with the screaming, such as All That Remains, Chiodos, Every Time I Die, Bring Me The Horizon, Hit The Lights, and an externally never ending list that it is getting old.

Overall the debut album of Asking Alexandria seems to be a smash hit for anyone wanting to see more of the already old and generic sing/scream music. The band has a sweet sense of actually music; it just seems old and faded nowadays. This band has great talent and a high potential of being another big band in the music scene. Stand Up and Scream is a relaxing album to lay back and drink too, with great music potential for any king of music fan.

Vinushka
    MotörHeadFan22
    Vinushka wrote: I know everyone says "You can't judge a book by it's cover" but that statement is becoming less and less true with every drop C scenecore band that emerges from the cesspool of modern music. Look at them, they've all got exactly the same haircut. Know what that says? It says "we're a fan of breakdowns, DOOBLEBASS and ironic synth". 2/10
    Yes, and now that this decade is over i think they something else shall be made, no more "X-core" genres there too many out there now ans they all pretty much have the same quality, i'm not gonna lie that some of them have some unique things, but we don't need anymore!
    nolsson
    -HillZ-
    I love this band, and this album is just amazing. every song, every riff, every breakdown. its just Amazing written. 10/10 for this album
    jake071709
    so i read through the comments and saw this... "listen through i couldn't identify a guitar riff that couldnt be classified as a breakdown". Are you deaf??? and this is a great overall album if you actually listen to it and know what your talking about(take a listen to every individual instrument and vocals). The lyriics are good. who cares if they had some fun with the lyrics in some of the songs? The vocalist is a thousand times better that the vocalist for miss may i!! i've seen them live. Theyre good but are not in comparison to this band when it comes to playing live. 10/10
    RiianLouise
    nolsson wrote: you know most people don't know this, but this band started here in Dubai and this where they became famous! hopefully people will now see that there is a large metal scene down here!!
    Sorry but you have it wrong. This isn't the band from Dubai. That band was named EndOfReason and then became Asking Alexandria but then broke up maybe a month after that. Ben Bruce then left Dubai to go back home to England and kept the name and started a new band with Danny Worsnop, James Cassells, Cameron Liddell, and some other dude in York. This band isn't the band from Dubai. This band is a Yorkshire based band. And if you don't believe me I have proof from Ben Bruce doing an interview with Capitol Choas.
    I hope this clears that mix-up for you.
    iTz lil manatee
    anyone who said this album is generic, you should probably just not speak. asking alexandria is anything but generic. its ok if your not a metalcore fan, but then dont post comments on metalcore bands, because as far is it goes, asking alexandria is utterly epic. dont try to trash them if you dont know what your talking about.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    "The problem is so many bands do this high pitched singing with the screaming, such as All That Remains, Chiodos, Every Time I Die, Bring Me The Horizon, Hit The Lights." Chiodos I believe is the only band listed there that fits the reviewers statement. All That Remains has normal, good singing, Everytime I Die uses southern style rock vocals, Bring Me The Horizon has no singing at all. I dont know about Hit The Light as I have never listened to them before.
    andeen10
    this band is pretty epic, Danny is really talented as a vocalist. To me, at least, they stand out from the crowd. Wait Hit The Lights?? high pitched singing... i think not they are like New Found Glory. On a side note... I like how they wrote about Mr. Brooks.