Stand Up and Scream review by Asking Alexandria

• Released: Aug 25, 2010
Asking Alexandria: Stand Up and Scream

First of all, they're sound is amazing, greater than any that I've ever heard. Some people say "I hate hardcore music because I have no idea what they are saying.", so they just let the genre of music die. Asking Alexandria is a great mix of today's new and irritable "techno beats" that resemble that from the 80's, and the scene/emo genre that kids nowadays love. Stand Up and Scream is an album that virtually anybody can enjoy at least a little, and the singing really brings up the tempo. Overall, Asking Alexandria's debut full-length album has a sound that will forever be remembered as one of the greatest hardcore album that this generation of music has to offer.

The lyrics of the album are breathtaking. Although some words like "whore" are used very commonly on a few tracks of this album, they make good use of the repitition, mixing up the words with melodic singing that an angel would envy and growling that not even Hades would be able to comprehend. In the beginning of the track "A Prophecy" it reads: "How stubborn are the scars that never fade away? Or just a gentle reminder that now are better days?" This is growled, and than it immediately goes into clean vocals: "We'll be home soon so dry your eyes." It is an amazing combination of the two styles of vocals, and I see it being very successful. Some of the lyrics are ironic, and even some of them being humorous, an example being the title "I Used To Have A Best Friend (But He Gave Me An STD)". There are also references to other media, such as the track "Hey There Mr. Brooks" and all of its lyrics. Overall, the lyrics and vocals of this album were something that I myself would take a bullet or two to save.

Stand Up and Scream by Asking Alexandria tops any other album and band that I have personally heard, being number one with my favorite five bands: "Bring Me The Horizon", "As Blood Runs Black", "Blessthefall", and "Escape the Fate". They recently revealed that a new album was in the making, one that I believe will show that Stand Up and Scream was not just one of the lucky hits of the hit and miss system that exists these days in music. This band is like a comet, it only comes around every so many years, and Asking Alexandria was well worth the wait. I hope the rest of you follow what I'm saying, and support Asking Alexandria with the making of a second studio album. Congradulations, Asking Alexandria, and good luck pummeling through the music bussiness.

aCloudConnected
    I'll be there in the morning. Crying. These guys could be really cool, but they suffer so much from not having enough diversity in their songs.
    elleild
    I went to see an band a few weeks ago and when they were setting up thier stuff they plugged in thier computer to the PA and played some asking alexandria. instantly i knew how the bands songs would sound like. Chug-chug, melodic chrous, synth interlude and br00tal breakdown with like 3 overlapped bass drops. ITS A FUCKING DISEASE
    TrayBeatz
    great album great band. i love how people are calling this a "drop C scenecore band" when if you had any musical ear you could clearly tell the album is almost completely written in d minor. definitley pick up this cd if you want a fresh metalcore listen.
    BenjoJames
    awsomeguitarguy wrote: Bjorney wrote: Horribly generic, after a listen through i couldn't identify a guitar riff that couldnt be classified as a breakdown Sure he sounds like Levi from MMI, but his lyrics are what i would expect out of someone in gradeschool theyre probably the most original hardcore band I've heard... and theyve got their shit down. BREAKDOWNS WILL ALWAYS BE IN HARDCORE PEOPLE. THEY WILL ALWAYS BE REPETETIVE AND SIMILAR.... so just dont even comment on that.
    AA are interesting in the fact that you'd think they'd be generic; but they're not. I believe it's because they have a very genuine passion for the music they make.
    awsomeguitarguy
    Adam124
    Terrible terrible band. The riffs are so generic it hurts. They follow the same song structures throughout every song and this goes for all these Drop C scene bands that spew out of the music scene. AA bring nothing new to the table. It's s shame though. So many scene x-core kids will lath onto them for their tight jeans, emo haircuts and "epic 5 minute bass drop breakdowns". This band is everything that is wrong with music. /rant
    ianaimo
    I really enjoy some things about asking alexandria and i really dislike some things about them too... Likes: I love a lot of their melodies. Their vocalist sings really well on cd and as i recently found out, live as well. I do like breakdowns, i love melodic synth, and i love 2-steps. I like to party lol Dislikes: I think the lyrics could be better on some songs also. They do have some songs that have great lyrics i.e alerion, hey mr. brooks (one of my fav movies so naturally one of my fav songs) I skip at least 5 songs on this cd when I listen to it. Either they sound to similar to another song or I just really don't like the layout or sound of the song. I feel like their synth is very simplistic. I feel like they could have done sooo much more with different sounds and styles of synth playing. I also think a lot of what asking alexandria does is quite generic, but frankly they are a partycore band. All party music is generic but a lot of fun to party to! frankly, i don't like the hype they get either. they are an all around good band. not an all around GREAT band. soo much BETTER music out there. but still i like the band and i like the cd overall 6 out of 10.
    guitarfreak222
    I absolutely despise this band, not because of their image, music and whatnot. I am irate at their lack of effort to write original music. If this band came around the late 90's early 00's, then I wouldn't mind the type of music that they're putting out. But this has been over and done with. If you want to be a metalcore band, at least put some effort in to writing something other than 00-5-0-7-8-10-8-7-5 then chugga chugga breakdown. (Before I get comments saying omg that tab isn't part of any of their songs, its just a list of notes that they use in their songs.. Over and over and over). Horribly boring and repetitive. I am disgusted at what type of bands can make it big in this generation.
    josh_salty
    possibly the most mixed review either best band or worst band? for what they're trying to do they're good and thats what i judge music on in my opinion it is pretty good for making you just want to scream along to but the synth gets on my nerves and maybe a few two many breakdowns but who cares
    thamasta
    this band is extra epic and pretty talented. Sumerian records only signs bands if they truly have something special (with the exception of stick to your guns and sleeping giant). most bands on Sumerian records are the most ridiculously ridiculous thing in the world. i would recommend periphery or i see stars if you like this band. great band. this is the best cd i have next to animals as leaders
    Yo Soy Ironman
    Vince0707 wrote: I love how all of you who hate on this kind of music act like you're doing a public service to the music world by telling us to not listen to certain bands because of how they dress or the amount of breakdowns in their songs. So how about all of you post links to your bands here and we can trash your music and talent and the way you dress..come on, im sure you all are ready to take the world by storm with your chart topping hits, right?
    Lmao, this is hilarious
    Yo Soy Ironman
    Only have one thing to say. This is to the first Reviewer. This is nothing like Every Time I Die. There isnt one thing about this band (although they arent bad) that is like ETID. I have to think that the reviewer has never heard ETID, because they dont play in drop c, Keith Buckley does not growl, and there is no double bass breakdowns, and certainly no synth. Fail reviewer.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    windexforlife wrote: great... another attack attack band. huhhh...
    Dude you definately shouldnt write them off as another attack attack, i've listened to both bands extensively and asking alexandria is head and shoulders above attack attack in terms of talent and songwriting ability
    C. BRUCE
    i like this album very much, but the breakdowns do seem very similar to each other. but still, great album
    Vince0707
    Insomnia69
    I'd review this, but I'm way too lazy. All I gotta say is that they have good songs, unoriginal or not, they're pretty good. BUT as I go through the CD as every song passes, the chugging/breakdowns begin to be repetitive, sure I headbang with a couple of them, but I get tired and annoyed of all the breakdowns. Another complaint I have is that they have 0 solos, nada, they only have about 1 lick in the entire album.