Stand Up And Scream Review

Asking Alexandria: Stand Up And Scream
Released: Sep 15, 2009
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Metalcore, Electronicore
Label: Sumerian Records
This is Asking Alexandria's first full-length on Sumerian Records and it is simply amazing.
 Lyrics: 7.2
 5,864
Stand Up And Scream Featured review by: UG Team, on december 18, 2009

Sound: The last band I reviewed was Hardcore Metalphonic Sybreed, with their influences being both Metal and Electronic at the same time. Asking Alexandria have this exact same feel, the dance your ass off, bang your head till you neck breaks music that keeps the energy flowing and the rhythms in motion.

The whole album flows beautifully with every beat precise and every melody created perfectly. The harmonies provided by the band are in such sync it creates a beautifully made song. Chiodos with a little more actual hardcore tones you could argue. The symphonic keyboard melodies are very dramatic and give the listener an apocalyptic type feeling. This is obviously what a hardcore fan wants to feel, and a band should do this, because it works.

Asking Alexandria may look like the nowadays current Hairmetal or the long overdue emo rock band, but their music is straight hard with a kick of fun in every second. This can be seen in songs like Hey There Mr. Brooks and A Prophecy and virtually every other song. The band even adds mathcore/deathcore riffs to their songs, seen in When Everyday is the Weekend. This song shows off the entire band's skill musically, with the bassist playing the very fast riff the guitarists are playing, and drums smashing through the headphones perfectly. The synthesizers are beautifully created in this song as well, giving it a fast paced retro dance video game style along with the perfectly fit metal. // 9

Lyrics: The titles of the songs throw you off, with many bands having these silly ironic and somewhat childish names. Such as If You Can't Ride Two Horses At Once You Should Get Out Of The Circus.

Luckily the singers can make up for it with nice well formed screams and a decent sense of singing. It is only decent because this type of singing has been done before way too much. It works well with the music which creates a better sense of music then a sense of singing/screaming. The problem is so many bands do this high pitched singing with the screaming, such as All That Remains, Chiodos, Every Time I Die, Bring Me The Horizon, Hit The Lights, and an externally never ending list that it is getting old. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall the debut album of Asking Alexandria seems to be a smash hit for anyone wanting to see more of the already old and generic sing/scream music. The band has a sweet sense of actually music; it just seems old and faded nowadays. This band has great talent and a high potential of being another big band in the music scene. Stand Up and Scream is a relaxing album to lay back and drink too, with great music potential for any king of music fan. // 7

- Sean Michael Gonzalez (c) 2009

Stand Up And Scream Recently reviewed by: samcox855, on july 26, 2016

Sound: "Stand Up and Scream" is the not only the debut album from Asking Alexandria; it is also one of their best releases. Danny Worsnop, lead vocalist combines deep, unclean vocals, high screams and softer, more melodic tunes to show off his skills as a metalcore vocalist, and guitarists Ben Bruce and Cameron Liddell provide creative riffs and small solos, as well as heavier drops and headbang-worthy sections to fit the vocals. Bruce also adds - without ruining the sound - a more techno aspect to the music, using a synthesiser and piano in songs such as "The Final Episode (Let's Change Channel)" and "Hiatus." Overall, the sound of the album is the heaviest the band has produced since without going overboard with intensity and keeping some sort of melody. In a word? Spectacular. // 10

Lyrics: Unlike their other albums, "Stand Up and Scream"'s lyrics show the band's infancy through their lyrics. Most of the songs on the album are about either women, booze, or sex. Albeit immature or appropriate (notably the entirety of "Not the American Average"), the lyrics fit well with the style of music, and Worsnop's vocals ensure that the lyrical content of the album does not drastically overshadow the instrumental aspect of the album. The lyrics on this album are understandably less developed than their future releases, but do not ruin the sound. However, they could be improved and have prevented this CD from being near-perfect. // 7

Overall Impression: When compared to other artists in the metalcore scene (Bring Me The Horizon, Alesana, blessthefall etc.), "Stand Up and Scream" stand out among the rest. Not only are the singles from the album deservedly given their status as singles, but most - if not all - of the other songs maintain a high quality. The non-single song that most impressed me on the album has to be "When Every Day's the Weekend." The song contains both a melodic chorus, excellent intro, outro and a particularly heavy drop that is one of my all time favourites. With the exception of the lyrical content of this album, I would definitely rebuy AND recommend this as a starter CD for anyone discovering Asking Alexandria, joining the metalcore scene, or looking for new music. // 9

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: Vince0707, on september 14, 2009

Sound: First of all let me say that if you are reading this, stop what you're doing and go get this album. It is a must have for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the hardcore/metalcore/screamo or the whatever you want to call it genre. This is Asking Alexandria's first full length on Sumerian Records and it is simply amazing. For this 13 track album to be the bands first efforts is nothing short of mind blowing. From the first notes in the opening track I knew I was going be a fan. The guitar tones are crystal clear, the effects are fun, and the synth/electronica add such a nice touch to the songs. They don't over use the synth parts, so don't think they are a dance/screamo band that just wants their music played at house parties. The clean vocals are very sharp and the screams have great range(There's also guest vocals from Shaun of Alesana). I've been listening to this album on repeat and can't stop. It's addicting. My first reaction was "WHOA, this is EPIC" They have such a great balance of brutal breakdowns, crowd pleasing gang vocals, and fun syth interludes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the music so well. Everyone has their own meaning to behind lyrics so I'm not going to bore you guys with what I think all these songs mean, since I didn't write them. But some fun lines in the album include. "Cross my heart I hope you die. Left by the roadside. Karma's a bitch, right?" "Get on your knees!" "Load up your six-shot baby put it to my head.. Pull the trigger, blank I'd figured..put it to me, dead." Obviously these lyrics fit the sound, as you all will see. Even the screams, for as heavy as they are, can be picked up on. Everyone will find themselves singing and screaming to these guys. Which is great, since the album is called "Stand Up And Scream". // 8

Overall Impression: Ok, so here is the best part to review about these guys. I think this will get a lot of you to follow Asking Alexandria and become instant fans. If someone asked me who Asking Alexandria sounded like, I would say...They sound like Attack Attack!, Miss May I, and We Came As Romans had an orgy and produced this band. Asking Alexandria incorporate all the best parts from these three bands in my opinion. Vocally they lean more towards Miss May I. While they musically sound similar to Attack Attack! and We Came As Romans. They definitely have some Devil Wears Prada sounding parts and some guitar work similar to The Word Alive. All these influences combined makes for a killer album. I can't say yet which song is my favorite since they are all so good. My advice is to crank up your speakers, hit play, and prepare to dance because it is such a fun album to rock out to. I'm expecting big things from this band. They are off to a great start. Everyone go get Asking Alexandria's new album Stand Up And Scream on Sumerian Records and get ready for your new favorite album of 2009! // 10

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: dhansen90, on april 16, 2010

Sound: Well, let me start by saying that there is absolutely nothing new to be found here. Nothing. At all. The music is horribly generic and leaves you feeling empty with ripped-off riffs and breakdowns everywhere. There are some fresh breakdowns to be found but if you're anything like me, sick of open d "odd time" chugs then they wount impress you either. The riffs are reminiscent of old as I lay dying with chug-note-chug staccato and boring to say the least. I hate that this band thinks 0-5-0-7-0-8 still works and hell I probably just tabbed a part of one of their songs. Hahaha. Might be better if they used more than two strings for the majority of their songs. Actually, I'm being nice. The guitar flat out sucks for a 2009 hardcore album. Synth is catchy in some parts. I would like it more if they actually had a synth player. A producer more than likely composed these parts. Chiodos inspired dance beats throw the pace off. The drumming is fantastic though. Not anything too different but keeps pace and carries the generic riffs very well. It is however mixed and produced very well. If I were you, I'd pick up with roots above and branches below or constellations first. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are those of a pmsing twelve year old throwing a fit and sound like it in some parts. Not creative and not good with gems like, "karmas a bitch, right?" The growls are good but throw the pace off a bit as they sound like emmure or something similar. His scream is refined and tasteful but not all the time because it sounds like a barking dog at some points. Chanting can be found, but again nothing new. The clean singing is... Not very good but not terrible. At least he keeps key well but that's not too hard because the only scale hell ever need to practice is d minor. Like every other band in the post hardcore genre. // 4

Overall Impression: There are better bands but if you're between the ages of 12-16 this might be the best damn thing you ever heard. Tdwp is better, abr is better, and attack attack is in the same boat with these guys. The s.s. Ahhhh, were sinking. Alerion is probably the best song on the album which is very sad because its the intro. I don't love anything about this album or the stagnate post hardcore genre. I think this album will be forgotten in 2 years and tossed in the trash along with someday came suddenly and anything by a skylit drive. If someone stole this album from me I'd hunt them down and shake their hand and pray to god they hate it as much as I do. // 5

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: The_Kempahh, on march 26, 2010

Sound: Emmure said it best with "Sound Wave Superior," though lacked to fill the shoes. Soncially, this is the greatest album on the face of the planet. "Stand Up and Scream" is simply put as Joey Sturgis's masterpiece. It provides punnishing breakdowns, flawless brutality, beautiful melodies, insane vocal ability, and sheer intensity by every part of the band. Songs like "A Candlelit Dinner.." and "Not the Average American" will have you jump right into the vocals, while songs like "A Single Moment.." and "Nobody Don't Dance.." have the vocals jump out at you. "I Was Once...a Cowboy King" stands out with it's brutal finnish and "The Final Episode..." keeps punching you in the face with Danny's favorite phrase. No album is complete without an epic. To further confirm that theory, "Stand Up and Scream" provides plenty of them. Songs like "If You Can't Ride Two Horses.." and "A Prophecy" never let go of your attention. An album of epic proportions deserves a grand finale. "When Everyday's the Week End" is the dark before the dawn. A perfect end to an amazing album. All in all, this album is a "must buy" and will defifnitely be on your playlist for a very long time. You will become an instant fan. // 10

Lyrics: While I have heard better lyrics, the way they are crafted is very well done. Each song provides a certain line that sticks with you, which then becomes your song identifier. "Scars don't heal when you keep cutting.." "I was meant to make you smile.." "You never said goodbye.." "I knew when I first saw you, you'd f*** like a wh*re.." The actual lyrics are pretty much taken over by the way they are sung. Danny Worsnop is one hell of a vocalist and deserves props and respect. Very well done, sir. // 9

Overall Impression: For years, I've had my number one favorite album of all time: Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses by Slipknot. "Stand Up and Scream" is the greatest album I've ever heard and has now become my number one all time favorite. I'm a hardcore musician myself, and I nearly gave up doing it because I knew I would never be as good as they guys. Buy this album and tell all your friends about it. I'm pretty sure they will like it, too.. // 10

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2010

Sound: First of all, they're sound is amazing, greater than any that I've ever heard. Some people say "I hate hardcore music because I have no idea what they are saying.", so they just let the genre of music die. Asking Alexandria is a great mix of today's new and irritable "techno beats" that resemble that from the 80's, and the scene/emo genre that kids nowadays love. Stand Up and Scream is an album that virtually anybody can enjoy at least a little, and the singing really brings up the tempo. Overall, Asking Alexandria's debut full-length album has a sound that will forever be remembered as one of the greatest hardcore album that this generation of music has to offer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are breathtaking. Although some words like "whore" are used very commonly on a few tracks of this album, they make good use of the repitition, mixing up the words with melodic singing that an angel would envy and growling that not even Hades would be able to comprehend. In the beginning of the track "A Prophecy" it reads: "How stubborn are the scars that never fade away? Or just a gentle reminder that now are better days?" This is growled, and than it immediately goes into clean vocals: "We'll be home soon so dry your eyes." It is an amazing combination of the two styles of vocals, and I see it being very successful. Some of the lyrics are ironic, and even some of them being humorous, an example being the title "I Used To Have A Best Friend (But He Gave Me An STD)". There are also references to other media, such as the track "Hey There Mr. Brooks" and all of its lyrics. Overall, the lyrics and vocals of this album were something that I myself would take a bullet or two to save. // 9

Overall Impression: Stand Up and Scream by Asking Alexandria tops any other album and band that I have personally heard, being number one with my favorite five bands: "Bring Me The Horizon", "As Blood Runs Black", "Blessthefall", and "Escape the Fate". They recently revealed that a new album was in the making, one that I believe will show that Stand Up and Scream was not just one of the lucky hits of the hit and miss system that exists these days in music. This band is like a comet, it only comes around every so many years, and Asking Alexandria was well worth the wait. I hope the rest of you follow what I'm saying, and support Asking Alexandria with the making of a second studio album. Congradulations, Asking Alexandria, and good luck pummeling through the music bussiness. // 10

Comments