Relationship Of Command review by At the Drive-In

• Released: Sep 12, 2000
At the Drive-In: Relationship Of Command

At The Drive-In's first CD is arguebly their best. This band straight from Texas sounds like they are cream of the crop of the California punk scene. I think ATDI is one of the most unique sounding bands you will ever hear. ATDI's music is a blend of Rage/Blindside/Thursday with the lyrical depth of Boyd or Cornell. Another thing amazing about this record is the lack of distortion used. The guitar is very melodic, and the rythym guitar dosen't use distortion but you still find yourself with a headrush at the end of every song. You might remember from a while back a song called "One-Armed Scissor". This was thier first, and sadly, last song that ever made it to mainstream. Being a musician myself, I found this CD wonderful and a must have!

When first listening to the record, you might find the lyrics to be awkward or making no sense. These lyrics are far from trivial though, they have great meaning and in-depth opinions and views of life, government, and self-sufficient thoughts. On songs like Mannequin Republic and Sleepwalk Capsules you'll find the lyrics very biased to the everyday world. Another song is Invalid Letter Dept. which recites a story expierenced byt the singer for ATDI, Cedric. His voice is truly remarkable, from his distinct screaming to his high end vocal range. The lyrics and meaning only accent the melody to most songs, and you will find yourself reading the lyrics over and over, like a good book, desiring for a true understanding for the meaning.

ATDI's spontaneous style could be compared to that of Fugazi or Mindless Self Indulgence. It's headbanging factor could be compared to that of Rage Against The Machine or Opeth. Most of all, it's unique sound could be compared to that of Incubus or Audioslave. One-Armed Scissor or Cosmonaut could be the best representative to the topics mentioned above. A few downsides to the record is there tends to be a lack of closure and opening to many of the songs. Some songs start/end out of nowhere and the next one begins and you find yourself looking at your CD player to see if the song changed or not. That might be the only, and worst, downside to the album. This might be the best $17 I've ever spent in my life, along with one of the best CD's. I highly suggest everyone goes out and buy's this CD and shares with thier friends!