Relationship Of Command review by At the Drive-In

• Released: Sep 12, 2000
At the Drive-In: Relationship Of Command

At The Drive-In are, to me at least, one of the most important bands that have come out. Their sound was unparalleled and can't be duplicated. The last album from this band had to my opinion the best sound. The riffs are intense and underrated more complex than one might think. Another thing this band does is encorporate bass lines that are just as important to the listening experience as the guitar and drums. Alot of bands today you cant even hear the bass. The drumming is also phenomenal. To put it best theyr sound is not of this earth, and is hard to categorize as is the mars volta. When you listen to the songs over again, listen very closely and youll hear something you didnt catch the first time. That's how complex the song structures are.

Lyrics that are abstract in meaning. But still have truth in them. You can paint a perfect picture of whatever you think the song means to you, and I enjoyed that. Definitely a inspiration for my own lyrics. And the lyrics, like the music, are very complex and melodic to the sound. It compliments the sound very well. Cedric's voice is beautifully soft. Comparisons have been made to robert plant and I'd say they both have a range thats uncanny. To put them in the same category would be right. For the best songs lyric wise I'd say listen to: Rolodex Propaganda, Non-Zero Possibiliy, Invalid Litter Dept, and Extracurricular. Which is a bonus track if you got the good version of the CD.

I'd say it's their most polished album which means the best sound of them all. The CD gets regular play in my cd player cause it really influences my own music. As far as other artists are concerned, there are only precious few that even come near to this band. Track rating: 01. Arc Arsenal - great opening, and straps you in. 9/10 02. Pattern Against User - really love this feels political. 10/10 03. One Armed Scissor - blends from the last track and only single. 9/10 04. Sleepwalk Capsules - sounds a lil like the last track but still great. 9/10 05. Invalid Litter Dept - might be my favorite song on here. 10/10 06. Mannequin Republic - awesome song heavier than some. 9/10 07. Enfilade - starts off with a weird phone call then goes into a space like sounding lyrics. Really great guitar. 10/10 08. Rolodex Propaganda - a great collaboration with the great iggy pop has a '80s feel to me. 10/10 09. Quarantined - the darkest song on the album and one of my favs, great bass playing. Sorta goth feeling in a progressive way. 10/10 10. Cosmonaut - nice work Omar on the guitar on this one I love the sound he has on this song and the lyrics are great. 10/10 11. Non-Zero Possibility - the slow song of the album and epic. Piano playing is dramatic and comliments the lyrics. 10/10 12. Extracurricular (bonus) - guitar is bizarre and sounds heavy I'm glad they added these 2 songs it's add more to the experience without detracting from the overrall feel. 10/10 13. Catacombs - once again get this CD! 9/10.