Relationship Of Command review by At the Drive-In

• Released: Sep 12, 2000
At the Drive-In: Relationship Of Command

The sound of Relationship of Command was and is incredible. It is totally out of this world; it's earnest punk-rock, but not as we know it! I don't really know where they got some of the ideas on this CD from, I have heard it was from various influences; for example, Omar Rodriguez was (and is, as you can here from newer project Mars Volta) influenced by Latin rhythms and jazz, and I can definately here some elements of those styles in the music on this CD, but they are so far drowned with effects and spacey, wide eyes guitar passages that it's hard to define their influences clearly. However, though they combine a large number of influences, I believe this is certainly a specialist CD, rather, I don't think it would really attract a wide demographic. But what it does (whatever that is) it does very well.

The lyrics are, in some parts, absolute nonsense to be perfectly honest! But I couldn't imagine the music going with anything better than Bixlar's incoherent lyrics. I suppose you could take it 2 ways; it could be absolutely genius poetry from an otherworldly being, or, it could be ramblings from a madman! I believe it is somewhere between the two. Moving away from the lyrics, I think, no, I know that Cedric Bixlar has an absolutely fantastic voice, and a fantastic vocal range. He can go up really high, or go down really low with his voice, and it would sound clear and precise all the time. I believe he is an extremely talented singer, though I think maybe the odd lyrics would possibly put some people off.

I can't really compare it to anything else, and I wouldn't really like to. I think this album is truly a gem, and is something to be treasured because of it's blistering originality. In my opinion the best songs on the album are the first 3, "Arc Arsenal," "Pattern Against User" and of course, the one everyone knows, "One Armed Scissor." This album has in fact been stolen off me twice, I did buy it again, I got it back and now I have 2 copies! Even if both copies got stolen again, I would still buy it. It is like a lifeline; I need this album in my life more than any other I've heard.

Thin-Lizzy
    ATDI should have stayed together... much cooler than Sparta and the Mars Volta in my opinion
    RG_FANMAN
    I was thinking of getting this as my first ATDI album. It seems i made a good choice considering i've only heard one song from here, One Armed Scissor.