Relationship Of Command review by At the Drive-In

• Released: Sep 12, 2000
At the Drive-In: Relationship Of Command

At the Drive-In are one of my favourite bands and it was this album that got me interested in their music. To me, this album is phenomenal. The basslines are fast and you can actually hear them which (for me being a bass player) is a very important ingredient to have in a band. The drumming is also very fast and holds the frantic guitarring together. Each song finishes so fast (even though the average length is about 4 mins) that you skip back to hear it again. Everything is perfect, even the odd telephone call in Enfilade is awesome and you don't question it atall.

The lyrics are so cryptic and unusual that it takes you a long time to work out what each song is about. But for me, this makes the wole ATD-I (and Mars Volta) experience so much better because it isn't the obvious lyrics you hear on the radio, these songs are highly angsty and political. Cedric can also sing a song in so many different ways. Every song is differently sung, from the fast-paced spittings of Arcarsenal to the slow atmospheric tones of Quarantined.

I don't own the whole collection of ATD-I CD's but out of the one's I do own (this, Vaya and In/Casino/Out), this one has to be the best. The album is just amazing on so many levels. The lyrics are perfect, the instrumentatiion is loud and fast but also delicately wraps itself around the lyrics. This album is perfect, it really is. My favourite songs for me are either Quarantined or Enfilade. But this album gets even better with every listen. The lyrics start off cryptic but you then realise their artistic imagery and the messages the songs are given out. At first the guitar riffs sounds noisy and clumsy, but with each new listen you appreciate their intricasy and precission. Overall, an epic opus. Shame they split really.

sum41freak8733
    i love this band probably one of the most important bands during the 90's all there albums are great GO BUY THIS NOW although i like "this station is non-operational" it comes with a dvd
    I_Forgot_My_Pen
    This was a really good album. Vaya was really good too. I definately like them more than mars volta
    GetTheGasoline
    sorry lizzy, the amrs volta is waaaayyyy better. sparta is fine but they are only getting more noteriety because they kinda sound like everything else out there
    Draken
    I love this Album. One Armed Scissor is one of the first song i loved.
    mothman607
    i love atdi, esp. the lyrics, i mean who can beat "hypodermic people poking fun at the living"? i don't see falloutboy doing that.
    BBell
    This cd is utterly amazing... i first started listening to the mars volta, but its cool to be able to kinda back track their roots. It would have been great if ATDI stayed together but then we wouldnt have seen Jon Theodore, or Ikey... (or juan, adrian, and marcel)