Purgatory Unleashed Live At Wacken review by At the Gates

• Released: Mar 22, 2010
At the Gates: Purgatory Unleashed  Live At Wacken

This is a live album of their best songs. Tomas's voice (in my opinion) has improved a huge amount since At The Gates broke up after Slaughter of The Soul, so if you are a fan of At The Gates then you should check youtube for songs from this record (they aren't very hard to find).

The lyrics are normal death metal lyrics, don't really know what to say. Just imagine music about death and torture and the rest. Tomas has improved beyond expectations since the Slaughter of the Soul, so I suggest that if you are a fan of ATG that you either listen to the stuff on youtube or pick the CD up (I bought it for 8 when I was in England, which is like $10).

It compares to all of the ATG cd's but with better sound quality, the guitar playing is better, the drums sound tighter and the vocals are just amazing. The most impressive song on here is my favorite "Blinded By Fear". Just beyond words. If it was stolen I would buy a new one, they are rather cheap. Oh by the way, the Limited Edition comes with a patch and a guitar pick.

Kaddock
    Thanks for the review Deathhead (yes, I just now found it a year later)! I'll have to check this out. As a long time At the Gates fan, I'd like to add to the lyrics section if I may- It should be noted that At the Gates lyrics have very little relation to the gore / torture lyrics of a lot of death metal bands. I would say that Tomas' lyrics are mostly about internal mental turmoil and bleak situations.