Slaughter of the Soul review by At the Gates

• Released: Aug 20, 2002
At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul

Let me start this off by saying this is by far my favorite death metal album of all time. Anders Bjurler has some insane guitar riffs, which are in a crushingly heavy standard B (B E A D F# B) tuning, and use a trashingly heavy distortion. His songs flow together, from the tremolo picked intro of "Under A Serpent Sun" to the melodic title track, "Slaughter Of The Soul". This CD was released in 1995, I was 4 years old. I knew nothing of this band until I was introduced to death metal just in these past few years. It's amazingly ahead of it's time music wise, which is why it is noted as one of the most influential death metal CDs ever. I have the extended version, which has a few demo's of songs, and some cover songs.

Thomas Lindberg has my all-time favorite screams on this CD. They blend perfectly with the crushing guitar riffs, and the overall intensity of the band. The lyrics of the songs aren't meaningless jumble either, Lindberg shows off his talent and makes some great songs.

Like I said, this album redefined death metal, and was one of the most influential CDs of the '90s. My personal favorites are: Blinded By Fear, Slaughter Of The Soul, Under A Serpent Sun, and Into The Dead Sky, even though all of the songs are top notch. 9 crushing tracks, and two instrumentals (the bonus features are a cover of Slaughterlod's "Legion", an origonal "The Dying", A Slayer cover "Captor Of Sin", the 95 demo versions of "Unto Others" and "Suicide Nation" and a cover of No Security's "Blister Verklighet") make for one of the best CDs ever made. A Must have for any metal fan.

Minivirus2
    As far as the Gotherburg sound goes, in my books, they're only matched by In Flames because their dummer can be rather monotonous. Don't get me wrong, he's good and has some quality fills, but I find the songs tend to blend together when most tracks are cymbal>snare>kick>repeat throughout 95% of them.
    Minivirus2
    lesken100
    Paramecium302 wrote: Blinded By Fear!!! Seriously, this album deserves 10/10/10 it is perfect. I can't even imagine giving it any less then that, it redefined death metal, set a new standard (that has yet to be surpassed) and not only has some of the best lyrics and riffs, but tight drumming and PERFECT production quality. BRILLIANT ABLUM!!!!
    well, not perfect production quality, you cant really hear the bass
    Paramecium302
    DanRocks3000
    this album is immense, cold is such an amazing song. There's also a cover of a song by slaughterlord called 'legion' which absolutely amazing. Its on the special edition of the album I think. Definately check it out.
    FoulIncantation
    This album is absolutely fantastic I got this for my birthday as a present and this is one of the best gifts I have got given to me. At The Gates RULE!!!!! \m/\m/
    bass_emagdnim
    Sursomsatan wrote: I disagree with the Thomas-haters, I love his voice and scream to death.
    Agreed! Tomas has the best voice in the history of the Gothenburg sound, par none. It sounds raw and painful, the way it should be done yo!
    UroboricForm
    "The Red In The Sky Is Ours" definitely sounded more "technical" than "Slaughter" if even still the producion was lacking.
    UroboricForm
    Definately a the quintessential melodic-death album of the mid 90's. Maybe unmatched by any single album by Dark Tranquillity, In Flames or the sometimes overlooked Eucharist.
    wildchild6660
    Wow. Just Listened to this album. I've been missing out big time. My only complaint is that the bass should be louder
    Agent_00Funk
    I just got this in the mail today, fantastic album, the first track about skull****ed me lol.
    Funeral Moon
    This was a good album for sure, But I always liked their early albums, ya know, The Red In The Sky Is Ours!
    Ozzy87_2
    The best melodic death metal album ever released? Hard to say but it's in the top 3 thats for sure.
    silentshane420
    At the gates may be the best Fu@king best melodic death metal band ever! I mean if u dont like this album, or this band then F*ck off! they invented a style of playing that every band in the metalcore and deathcor and all those other sub generas rip off from. Slaughter Of The soul is on THE best Melodic death Metal albums EVER! At The Gates F*cking ruled Melodeath!
    NosferatuZodd09
    I don't get whats with people and the man's vocals, he delivers the lyrics with great passion but yeah pretty nice guitar riffs, though they're bashed by metal elitists that prefer bands that can only tremolo pick and nothing else =\... which is ****ing boring if its 4 minutes of nothing but tremolo picking... -all their albums kicked ass though (ATG)-