The Red In The Sky Is Ours review by At the Gates

• Released: Jul 27, 1992
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
At the Gates: The Red In The Sky Is Ours

Anders Bjorler has stated himself that the band tryed to hard to impress people with strange songwriting and that this album suffered from bad production. I agree completely. The sound is weak and the songs are messy. The standout tracks in my opinion are The Scar, the title track and the special edition Ever-opening Flower demo although those suffer from the same mistakes as the others. The drumming isn't as tight as Slaughter and Thomas' vocals sound strained and harsh. The band seems more death metal/grindcore than heir later days. The guitar riffs are good but seem unfinished aand don't link very well.

The lyrics are very At The Gatesy. Although not everyone song is about suicide like Slaughter....but I actually liked the lyrics. They seem epic although it gets a bit repetitive with all the dark, moody stuff but nonetheless good. Like I said above, Thomas Lindbergs vocals are harsh and strained although it does sound pretty brutal at times...

I would definitely recommend buying Slaughter Of The Soul or Terminal Spirit Disease if you don't have any At The Gates albums yet. If it were stolen or lost I would go all sledgehammer brutality on the first person I saw but only because it was At The Gates. This is an average album and it is very easy to tell this is an early album.

njtwkr
    I love both this album and With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness. They feel very illogical and weird at first, but after enough listens they all make perfect sense and there's still a lot of new stuff I hear with every listen. I'm amazed, impressed and in awe of their writing abilities.
    Trivium_Child
    Hey man, this is my opinion. If you don't like it WRITE YOUR OWN! Whats the point of writing a review if everybody's going to be forced to choose a certain viewpoint by *****s like you.?
    cesse
    You should really try to listen to it more. This album and "with fear I kiss the burning darkness" needs some time but suddendly they click and the things that seem messy at first makes perfect sense. Now I think the two first albums with no doubt is the best.
    Contraband
    Well, this was totally useful in all its majestic description. I really got a sense for how the music is when you said the songs are messy and the production is "bad". Wow. I think I'll go listen to Trivium now.
    severed-metal
    Many spelling mistakes, no real substance to this, and this whole, "It's my opinion, leave it alone" crap is getting old. It's my opinion, that your opinion doesn't have a base, and is extremely vague. What if I've never heard ATG? Do you think I'm going to understand the whole, "At the Gatesty" lyrical scheme? You aren't elaborating as much as you should, and for that, you should consider revising this.
    Contraband
    What's more alarming is that whoever was screening the reviews let this turd go through.