The Evil in You review by At Vance

• Released: May 19, 2003
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
At Vance: The Evil in You

"The Evil In You" is the fifth studio album by power metal band, At Vance. While the period between "No Escape" and "The Evil In You" was rough with a couple line-up changes, it was still a very successful period for At Vance. They still sound amazing on this album, with a kick a-s cover to boot, that reminds me of "The Terminator". This album is incredible. My second favorite At Vance album. Still have that powerful chorus, fast guitars, the chorus is more fluid however on this album. Regardless, it's still pretty amazing. No story behind it really. The only thing I can think of is that they actually got the cover idea from "The Terminator".

The lyrics on the album are definitely different from the previous albums. These lyrics are literally supposed to describe, "The Evil In You". The music and the lyrics fit very fluidly together, like most power metal. At this point, At Vance has kind of drifted away from the neo-classical, and more embraced the power metal genre. One of two albums featuring Mats Leven on vocals. He's still a great singer. Regular singing voice mixed with high octave vocals for choruses and the tails of verses. Amazing. Reminds me of Phil Anselmo back on Power Metal with Pantera. Only an octave lower.

Compared to other power metal bands, At Vance is one of they few to actually make their records SELL. They've found that sound that really sells power metal, while still being, THEIR sound, like Helloween and Gamma Ray. The most impressive song on the album is probably the opening track, "Fallen Angel". I love this album. The only thing I hate is that their original singer isn't the one singing the songs. I would more than likely buy this album again if I lost it, however like most power metal, it's the trouble of finding it.

YouTube preview picture