A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

Atreyu's new CD is great. It's got pretty good guitar (not like drop of the jaw good but pretty darn good). They still have the same "sound." What I mean is the guitar has the same tone and the vocals have the same sound if you will. Now don't think this album is anything like the curse because its not but you can tell it's Atreyu. If you enjoy that modern "metal" and classic "metal" then this CD is probably going to please you.

Lyrics are simply amazing! The lyrics themselves are soo deep. The way that Alex and Brandon sing, they make the lyrics stand out. And as always, the lyrics go perfect with the music.

Since I have only heard a few songs off of their first album, I can t say whether this CD is better than it. Although this CD is great, I think that the curse is better. I absolutley adore (that was gay but whatever) the lyrics on this album and some of the guitar work. Although not extreme, Dan and Travis know when a solo fits and are great riff writers. I don't think there is an aspect of this album that I hate. And if I lost this CD I would definatly buy it again.

tyri
    .N30C0N. wrote: Metalcore is not Atreyu.. Atreyu is Emo.. Metalcore is when the sound is like Atreyu.. But without EMOTIONAL LYRICS! Some Experience in music.. Don't make me laugh
    LoL? Atreyu = emo? Atreyu implements breakdowns, is somewhat heavy, have harsh vocals in their verses with clean-vocals in the choruses, etc. These constituents are rife in metalcore music. Yes, they do have emotional lyrics... but since when are lyrics the sole characteristic for defining genres? Tupac has emotional lyrics. Is he emo? Use your brain, kid. And just so you know, emo = bands like 'Still Life', 'Evergreen', 'Moss Icon' and 'Indian Summer'.
    fiftysteps
    they are: emo metal core/ grind core/hardcore/ core the the core/ black but not black metal core. THE END! haha
    DanJacobsII
    i love this album. but they're definently not death metal, black metal, or anything harder than emocore. because death metal is like Sepultura or Slayer. black metal is Gorgoroth and Venom and such. they are emocore. FINAL
    KsE60
    I also like this album, it is nice to see a band taking control of their own music. whether people like it or not
    loserkid227
    the first time i heard the theft im like whos this dude singing? then im like holy shit! its alex so im like **** he could sing? well anyways thats my favorite song and creature from this album.
    MX4Life
    Emo is not just from emotionally focused lyrics... Then just about every band who ever wrote a love song is emo, you dumbshit. Emo is a complete style in its own, and a very shitty one at that.
    mfest
    Guys. its very simple, if your just gonna trash talk, dont get involved... post on stuff you like, cus this just pisses people off. back to the band... i was kinda hoping
    xXKILLxUxALLXx wrote: ... now as for the album i think its there best sofar but personally there have been far better albums 2 hav come out this year (in my opinion) but then again ]i cant judge in other pplz taist. all around good band, kinda original, great album
    THANKYOU!!!!!
    xXKILLxUxALLXx
    O MY GOD... lol the only person here with a fuking right mind is tyri. lol tyri man n3ocore is just a 12yr old emo with no life and no friends and sitts in his bath all day cutim self to shredz, lol i 100% agree with u tyri. now as for the album i think its there best sofar but personally there have been far better albums 2 hav come out this year (in my opinion) but then again i cant judge in other pplz taist. all around good band, kinda original, great album
    boyan89
    i agree wit element0112 this cd is awesome they o rule one of the best bands ever and FOR THE LAST TIMR ATREYU isnt emo
    element0112
    SURFraptor you can say shit about a band like this...chances are you will never be able to play anything near as good as these guys so id keep your mouth shut... Atreyu ****in Rock
    .N30C0N.
    ArcticSpektre wrote: Listen to Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, 1991-1998 Metallica, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, For My Pain, Ratt, Motley Crue. ....then try to convince me that Atreyu is something else than "emotionally-charged" metal. Let's get it straight, I don't wanna start a fight here, but just point out the fact that Nile, Slayer, Cerberus, Burzum and Pantera are among the purest Thrash, Death and Black bands existing. There is another side to the Metal Medal, y'know.... Power and Heavy branches.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! thats what Emo is! Emotional Hardcore.. With 1/4 metal thrown into it.. Your retarded
    tyri wrote: I stumbled across this article by accident and as soon as I saw the genre classification I had to sign up just to clear this up. Atreyu is NOT Punk Metal, Alternative Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal or Emo. They are metalcore, and it's so damn obvious to anyone with some sort of experience in music.
    tyri
    ArcticSpektre wrote: Listen to Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, 1991-1998 Metallica, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, For My Pain, Ratt, Motley Crue. ....then try to convince me that Atreyu is something else than "emotionally-charged " metal. Let's get it straight, I don't wanna start a fight here, but just point out the fact that Nile, Slayer, Cerberus, Burzum and Pantera are among the purest Thrash, Death and Black bands existing. There is another side to the Metal Medal, y'know.... Power and Heavy branches.
    That first comment is extraneous; all those bands you mentioned have no relation with Atreyu whatsoever. 'Emotionally-charged' metal? What the ****? Let's not get crazy here and start making up genres for the sake of it. And your final paragraph doesn't prove shit...
    Death Bat
    to chapterA7Xfour: not bashin you, but on "the theft" alex did quite alot of singing.. so he's part vocalist i guess. and marc has the coolest scream. i always loved brandons singing for some reason.. it just blends so well with the screaming..
    4yourlungsonly
    All of their cds were pretty good but i think this is one of the better ones. Look how popular they are becoming, like songs being played in movies now and a major record label. I dont know why some of you think theyre so bad.
    tragik
    I'm an Atreyu fan, and in all honesty this album was awful. After The Curse, I thought these guys were great, but this album proved otherwise.
    megarocker7
    This CD rox! It's not exactly better than Suicide Notes and The Curse but it is a lot more evolved and i personally don't think they sound like anyone else. Best songs: Creature, Shameful Different(not worse) songs: Ex's and Oh's, The Theft
    metalman05
    Kronan wrote: And that's mainly to al of you posers out there. But I agree, Atreyu is mainly emo metalcore. But really who gives a ****? They're hard. they sound good. If you don't like it don't buy it.
    Damn Straight!!!
    Kronan
    Kronan
    Oh my God how pathetic are most of you? You're arguing over someone's label!!! That's practically stereotypical. Most rockers are against all of that labeling shit but look what you're doing now!
    benjaminr
    even atreyu admits they are partly emo so clearly they are to some extent.
    Cliff_Hetfield
    With their third CD, Atreyu has fine-tuned their craft even more and have created one of the best albums of 2006.
    To whoever the hell wrote that, all I have to say is the year ain't over yet!!!
    KoRn dude
    It really annoys me when bands can't even play their own songs live!!! gah!
    Ye that is true, it pisses me 2. But last time i went to see them both Travis and Dan played album solos. Dunno, mayb they have changed...
    p2fyre
    The new album sounds good.. i think i'll buy it. I like the other Atreyu albums, but I was really disappointed when I saw them live. Dan cheated on most of the solos. Well, I call it cheating.. but I'm sure he calls it an alternative live version. lol. It really annoys me when bands can't even play their own songs live!!! gah!
    KsE60 wrote: Venom=blackmetal
    For your information, Venom aren't black metal. They just created the name.