A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

Atreyu never seems to stop surprising me. Their fist album, Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses, was good enough for me to say I enjoyed the band. The second installment, The Curse, blew me away. I could see how they only got better with their instruments, the lyrical content flowed extrememly well with me. Now, this album, A Death-Grip on Yesterday, just completely stops me in my tracks. It's simply amazing. The utilization of so many more guitar techniques, and the mixing of the sound in general, is just amazing. I don't think they could get any better than this, but I wouldn't make that assumption a final because they are continually perfecting their sound and everything it's about. My only, slightly negative comment about this entire album, is that it seems to be, a tad bit less heavy than the last. This decline in heaviness isn't something for me to rant about, because, they pulled it off so well.

Lyric wise, this album was all about past relationships and bad break ups which, I more than just relate to. It pretty much hit me where it needed to. Only to make me think, "That is exactly how I felt!" Some of the words in the songs, are just so deep, that if you have experience the described feeling or situation, you immediatly know what they mean. If you haven't experienced it, you might have a tad bit of trouble picking through the meanings, not much of a problem though. Atreyu has really hit the spot with the way these songs are worded.

Every since the day I bought this CD, I've had every song from the album on my playlist. I live off of music, I play it, I breathe it, so I'm constantly blasting it all day. In the past week, I've ran through this album somewhere around 15 times, that's more than twice a day and it's hasn't gotten old the least bit. Atreyu has given me a new reason to respect them as the great and fantastic musicians that they are.