A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

Atreyu have definately achieved a new sound on Death Grip. Whether it's better or worse than their previous albums I can't decide, but it's different, and I, personally, love it. Guitar riffs are creative and upbeat, a mettallic sort of heaviness. The solo in 'My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back), is personally one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. The drumming is perfect, and crushes the shit out of you. Prominent bass that accentuates the guitars. The sound is fast, heavy, melodic, and full of life.

The lyrics are uncreative for the most part, yet catchy. They do have a style and charisma that sort of grows on you, and fit the music like a glove. Alex's scream is heavy as the music he spews in you're face, which is heavy. Brandon's singing is hauntingly beautiful, and mixes in perfectly with Alex.

This is currently my favorite album; I love it. If you like Atreyu's other albums, you will not be dissapointed. The only drawback for me is the fact that most of the real heaviness is only in the last 3 songs. It's more melodic than their other two albums. I would've asked for a heavier album, but it still rocks. My favorite songs are Shameful, Ex's And Ohs, and My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back). My least favorite part of the album are the 3 songs between Shameful And Ex's And Oh's because although the songs are good, they are in my opinion the three weakest songs on the album. If it were lost or stolen, I would definately replace it.

sum_english_guy
    fiftysteps wrote: they are: emo metal core/ grind core/hardcore/ core the the core/ black but not black metal core. THE END! haha
    dont you just love it how every band can have their own genre ? NO
    Maggotkiller
    This band is so ****ing amazing My new favorite song is "A Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back) The bridge on that song ****ing rocks!!!! This is easily their best album!
    A7X_hyperfan
    UnDarkGuitar wrote: I personally bought the album... and i dont see how anyone can call them "Black Metal" whoever started this should get their genres straight... sorry if that sounded mean... it wasnt ment to... -Jeff
    Who called them Black Metal? Children of Bodom are Black Metal. Atreyu is more Metalcore.
    gorevilleghst01
    okay well heres my random opinion in all of this... i dont care what atreyu is considered. they are amazing. call them what you want but emo lyrics would just mean they actually but some thought into their lyrics instead of coming up with something totally random like "i wanna blow up my car and fuel makes me burn" yada yada, the new album is great.
    boyan89
    i agree with Kiotaka i wish their was more tracks but the cd was awesome
    kevin37**A7X
    Stefaknee69 wrote: Go ahead, try and argue your way out of saying thier a "an amazingly talented band..." chances are your a poser anyways, trying to fit in, by not being able to "Fit In"... Yeah, you know its true!
    KoRn dude wrote: wow if it was the exact same thing as on the ablum why even go see them live? that makes no sence its way better to see them mix it up and do stuff different live, if not you shouldne be going to concerts It really annoys me when bands can't even play their own songs live!!! gah! Ye that is true, it pisses me 2. But last time i went to see them both Travis and Dan played album solos. Dunno, mayb they have changed...
    kevin37**A7X
    i ment to say.. WHY WOULD GO YOU TO A CONCERT IF EVERYTHING IS THE SAME OFF THE ALBUM? its way better when they mix it up with the songs and solo's, you clearly should not be at a concert and dont know enough about music to respect that
    luttrell
    You morons need to stop arguing about what genre Atreyu is, any band for that matter. Why does it matter? You guys sound like fking idiots. Genre has become an opinion and nothing more especially with bands like Atreyu and Funeral for a Friend (and many many others) that bridge many genres into their own style. I got a band for all of you morons to listen to. Check out Maylene & the Sons of Disaster and try to give them a genre, you'll probably make one up and hopefully you'll get my point. Anyway, the album is sick and I wish it were more than 9 songs. Untitled Finale & Fork in the Road are my faves, but that's just my opinion...
    jonathanonfire
    DareBear02 wrote: First and foremost I've been following Atreyu since Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, and I'd have to agree that yes, they are a metal band, or metal core if you wanna get really picky. I heard this CD about twice and I'd have to say I'm super f*cking disapointed with this album. The tracks sound week, the lyrics left something to be desired and ALL THE SONGS COULD FIT PERFECTLY ON THE CURSE. Nothing has changed, they still have the same trite sound from there previous effort. I even gave the album a second spin and I still couldn't get into it. I'm a fan of Atreyu, but they really dropped the ball and did NOTHING original or exciting. The kids that think this record is awesome should check out other REAL metal bands from the likes of In Flames and or Soilwork. But that's just my opinion, I was never a fan or mascara on guys, tight girl-pants or white belts. And it seems that's what Atreyu fans mostly look like, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    ready4thebreak wrote: Well hey I hope it's better than Avenged Sevenfold and Bleeding Through(total phuck up)'s Cds. They both trashed Atreyu but their last release sucked. I read their article in Revolver of how they were going to remain original but they really didn't have any examples, so I'm not surprised it sounds the same.
    mullenmetal
    amen and amen. they've all gone really downhill. if you were a huge fan of atreyu, a7x, and bleeding through when they first came out, when they were at their heaviest... you certainly arent one now. (and if you are.. theres probably something wrong with you) they all completely changed their core audience of hardcore/emocore to just straight up pop rock. yeah i said it. theyve all gone so mainstream now. oh man. why did they all have to sell-out and butcher their sound. im so disappointed in this album... oh and... theyre emo/punk metal! get over it. musicians should get better... faster... louder....have more to say.... not dumb down to appeal to the masses. and to think atreyu was once my favorite band when SN&BK first came out...bahhhhh POP ROCK? uare dillusional pop rock is mcfly coldplay U2 and pish like that u are tellin me that atreyu and A7X fit in that category they may not be as heavy as they were but A7X have got a lot better than they were ok so they dont scream that does'nt mean they are not heavy or for that matter metal
    Havenspear
    God. I hate these picky genres. They are metal. In my head, there are like 10 genres to choose from. And metal is one. I don't have any Black, Core, Thrash, Alternative. It's just ****ing metal