A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

I particularly love the sound of this album. But I was a little disappointed at Marc Mcknight's(bass) background screaming. I thought I was the only one to notice this but he sounds like a small child and I really think it throws off the traditional Atreyu sound. That was a bad move for Atreyu in my personal opinion to have Marc do background screams, it just doesn't sound like it fits the songs and my first impression was that they tried too hard to create a new sound. Atreyu did maintain their traditional melodic-metalcore sound on this album, which in fact I was glad to hear; such as their screaming verses and sung choruses, and heavy breakdowns. The guitars sound as good as ever, nothing really new about the distortion and such, and they don't use very many effects or anything like that on this album. But I do like the playing and soloing. The soloing has advanced greatly since The Curse, and they fit the songs well. My last disappointment would be the fact that there are only 9 tracks on the album, but they are solid, strong songs, which isn't too bad. I particularly enjoyed the album but I just couldn't shake the feeling that they could have accomplished alot more than what they presented.

In my opinion I think the lyrics are just as good as the next guy's. Nothing really different from their previous albums. The lyrics are for the most part about getting out of bad relationships and situations and about how whoever the lyrics are about is trying to stand up for themselves. I think it got pretty cheesy and I think they carried out the "beaten-down-and-trying-to-get-back-up" role though, and I think they could have written much better and different stuff this time around as far as lyrics are concerned. Alex Varkatzas' screaming has improved greatly with this album, and he even sings in some songs, something I was very pleasantly surprised to hear. Brandon's singing has stayed the same, which is great as well. It sounds to me like he has reached new ranges, more than the previous albums.

If it were stolen I would probably just buy The Curse again, sad to say. The album isn't too bad, and it doesn't necessarily "suck", but compared to their previous albums it didn't stand up, and I think that as an Atreyu fan I just expected too much from them. They are truly a great band for their genre, and they did as well as anyone could have thought.

nothingface187
    Why is everyone bitching about this album, I mean Fuck, first everyone was saying, "the curse sucked ass, Suicide butterflies and kissing notes is way better", and Now a lot of people are saying "the curse is better than this album", I don't get it. Anyways this a good album, i prefer listening to something else, but than again, never been a big fan of atreyu.
    lespaul_shred
    they're metalcore. exs and ohs doesn't sound in any way original at all. still, they sound pretty decent in this album.
    I Walk Alone
    Autumn Shadows wrote: How about we stop putting them into a genre and talk about the damn album.
    Thank you! I enjoyed the album but I haven't listened to their older stuff so by the way it sounds Atreyu hasn't improved much since their last album. I guess I've gotta pick up Suicide Notes and find out...
    Jcocarooski
    well guys, they've made somewhat of a change... atreyu has looked better with their past cd's, but this one is pretty good also
    Flyerguitar wrote: Ok, everyone here is a retard, genres should be abolished, cause no band sounds the same, if they did, why buy one or the others music. Selling out? you think shameful or any of the harder music sells to the masses? If the masses start buying it, then more people are starting to like the music, people are not gonna buy atreyu just to say that they listen to it. Most want to listen to what they have to say, and the musicians way to create mood in a song. Thats it in a nutshell, atreyu has created another album that is very good, and it seems that they will not stop improving. Case and point
    and thank you, at least someone agrees with me on this one.