A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

Sound is really good. It starts with 'creature' which is full of energy and will definately give you a good first impression. Throughtout the album, each song has its own felling and emotion. Some are softer than others, some harder some not at all like them, which I suppose is a good thing because you won't get bored of the same sort of song repeating. All together there 9 tracks and a bonus CD, which shows you Atreyu 30 minutes of Atreyu recording the album, which is a must watch CD.

The singers are amazing (that's the singer and the drummer as the drummer sings to, if you didn't know) because they vary the screaming, roaring and normal singing very very well. Like there chorus's are quite melodic, then the singing in the breakdown is like lamb of god screaming. Amazing. This is why I like this album because as all songs are different and I want to listen more and more.

Very good album in terms of guitar riffs (there amazingly god like), singing great tone and variety to the whole album, and drums good, but I think the drummer does better with singing. Just my opinion. The best songs of the album are probably Ex's And Oh's, Creature, My Fork In The Road and The Private War. This is a must have album if you like atreyu, no seriously it is because of the reasons I've put in the other to paragraphs.

LEO_Avenged_7X
    good album..... the theft , exs and ohs my fav. havent listened to it that intently.....and yea avenged sevenfold rock!
    EmoRocker19510
    nhinman wrote: "The lyrics in this album are mostly OK, however some of them struck me as unimaginitive and particularly 'you cause my liver to turn to dust' (or something like that, in Ex's And Oh's I think) seemed to sound pathetic to me" well, actually, the song ex's and oh's is about the singer's problem with alcohol, hence 'because of you my liver turned to dust.'
    lol not to mention he says lets hit the bar lol.
    Solipsism
    arggghh this album is so 'meh'. It feels so over-produced and stripped-back. It is just my opinion though, and the way my brain processes it, there is something I don't like about Atreyu. However, I know they are not a shit band, otherwise other people would not like them. I just cannot enjoy their music.
    angels side
    hellz wrote: Emos suck. Atreyu rocks. Therefore Atreyu arn't f**king emo!! Atreyu kick ass. I agree 100%, Emo's suck and Atreyu Rocks. Atreyu is not an Emo Band and whoever thinks they are, are F***ing Dumba**s
    rictazero
    Atreyu is not black metal, i will agree, but whoever says they aren't metal is retarded, they are metalcore. and while the misconception of "emo" may fit them, they are nowhere near true emo.
    [faint]
    good not great, the curse was superior in every way.
    FlameIbrah wrote: this album isn't better thern their more metalcore ish albums. it's just kinda iffy. Creature is a good song and they have some good solos and interesting riffs, but the songs themselves lost the intensity except for Creature. it's more mainstream, which isn't necessarily bad, but it also typically means the sound is less heavy and unoriginal.
    those solos are mediocre at best, should i even call them solos, if you want acually good solos get some metallica or trivium. remember i do think this album is good though
    Artisan_Bassist
    Yeah I like atreyu but I don't like Alex's voice all that much....his scream does not sound good...
    theguitarist
    Dang.. -Stop Arguing about what genre Atreyu is in -Stop Flaming -Stop Emo Bashing All of the above will earn you an official warning. On another note, I felt this album was somewhat lacking in comparision to 'The Curse'... Checked/Deleted.
    FlameIbrah
    nhinman
    EmoRocker19510
    Ok, Just so you know, every song that is made has some emotion thrown into it, so yes, u people pretty much every band is emo, just has a different way of playing/singing it. I mean look at like Killswitch Engage(End Of Heartache), Godsmack(IV), i'm not trying to sound stupid, i'm just saying that every band puts some emotional stuff in their music(anger, love, depression, etc.) and no i'm not trying to defend emos or emo music, i'm just saying what should be said.
    teachmyself
    good album, I only have one complaint, it was too short. Other than that it was good.
    Jcocarooski
    DareBear02 wrote: First and foremost I've been following Atreyu since Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, and I'd have to agree that yes, they are a metal band, or metal core if you wanna get really picky. I heard this CD about twice and I'd have to say I'm super f*cking disapointed with this album. The tracks sound week, the lyrics left something to be desired and ALL THE SONGS COULD FIT PERFECTLY ON THE CURSE. Nothing has changed, they still have the same trite sound from there previous effort. I even gave the album a second spin and I still couldn't get into it. I'm a fan of Atreyu, but they really dropped the ball and did NOTHING original or exciting. The kids that think this record is awesome should check out other REAL metal bands from the likes of In Flames and or Soilwork. But that's just my opinion, I was never a fan or mascara on guys, tight girl-pants or white belts. And it seems that's what Atreyu fans mostly look like, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    let me correct you on this. the Cd truly isn't that bad. not saying it's great, but not bad either. i'll call it mediocre. P.S. IN FLAMES SUCKS