A Death-Grip On Yesterday review by Atreyu

• Released: Mar 28, 2006
Atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday

Atreyu, who is a Post-Hardcore quartet from Orange County, California exploded onto the music scene a few years back with their break through album, Suicide Notes and Buttferly Kisses. Since then, Atreyu has been touring constantly and have been trying to get their name out. In 2004 they released The Curse, their second album and the one that really broke them into mainstream modern rock.Now, Atreyu has released their 3rd LP, A Death-Grip On Yesterday which has spawned the singles "Ex's and Oh's" and "The Theft". Atreyu has stayed true to their sound, although experimenting a bit more on tracks" The Theft, Ex's and Oh's, and Your Private War" with soft melodies and clean non screaming vocals from lead vocalist Alex Varksztas. Just like in past album's, Brandond Sallers' vocal melodies and drives have been intense, and riveting. He expresses amazing emotion in his singing abilities and takes full of use of his voice. Compared to past albums, A Death-Grip On Yesterday is more mature of an album than anything previously released. It features more melodic advances in their music, with less screaming than before and also softer songs compared to previous efforts. All in all, if you are an Atreyu fan than give this album a chance. There is a chance that you will truly love this masterpiece.

Lyrics have always been a major point for Atreyu. Topics they write about include; love, death, and vampirism. On this release their lyrics take a more mature turn with less about hate and more about life in general. "Ex's and Oh's" is an example of that, the lyrics represent life in general pointing out problems and things that should be fixed. "My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back)" is one of the most lyrically mature songs on the album, it talks about how you can love someone, but they are using and you see through their lies. I would Alex has outdone himself with his writing abilities on this album, so kudos to him and Atreyu.

Overall the album accomplishes what it sets out to do, show a new side to Atreyu and give an amazing album to their fans. SOme songs you check out are"Ex's and Oh's, The Theft, Your Private War, We Stand Up, My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back)and Untitled Finale". All of thos songs are amazing and will appeal to the most die hard Atreyu fan. The album is a masterpiece and should be lsitened to be any post-ahrdcore fan or a metalcore fan, it will appeal to you, trust me. What I am really trying to say is if you have 20 bucks and want to buy an album and are a fan of Atreyu, check the album out. I won't disappoint.

SnowMan1
    This album is good but not great. Everything is solid but old gets extreamly fast. Creature and The Theift are the only stand outs. Atreyt aint f**king EMO. Does any one who says that really know what EMO is. Listen to Hawthorne Heights, Thats EMO you Dumb F**ks