Congregation Of The Damned review by Atreyu

• Released: Oct 27, 2009
Atreyu: Congregation Of The Damned

At first impression, I thought this album was going to be Atreyu's return to the "heavier" or "harder hitting" metal, if you will, although I quickly found that this was not the case. Yes, some of, actually most of, the songs on this album are heavier than the Lead Sails Paper Anchor album (LSPA), but not by much. The first time I heard the song "Congregation of the Damned" I instantly thought my itunes had screwed up and went to some Avenged Sevenfold, then when I checked, it seems my itunes was operating perfectly fine, that thoroughly iritated me. The overall sound of the album was about a 7.5 out of 10, with 5 being comparable to LSPA, and 10 being comparable to Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses (my personal favorite Atreyu album). Although a personal disappointment that the album wasn't heavier, I also find myself starting to come around to the "new" Atreyu, even from the start I have respected their choice to alter their musical tastes and influences.

The lyrics are slightly above average in my opinion, nothing too dull, yet, nothing that makes me want to instantly start singing along (which I often do). Don't get me wrong, I like the lyrics of the album, and I do sing along to it, I don't always sing along with the songs, as I always do with some of my personal Atreyu favorites (Lip Gloss and Black is a great example, that is my absolute favorite Atreyu song). As far as the singing is concerned, I personally believe that the bands singing capabilities are growing more and more with each album, that's one of my favorite things about this band, they aren't JUST screaming, but they also aren't JUST plain singing, I think it is a very nice balance. The singing and screaming on this album get a (in my opinion) well deserved 8.

While not comparing to my personal favorite album (Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses), it is a vast improvement over LSPA, and I would place it right below The Curse, making it my 3rd favorite Atreyu album, the most impressive song on this album would have to be Stop before it's too late and we've destroyed it all, I like that this album is heavier, and that they are growing musically with every album they produce, I don't like that some of the songs sound almost "generic" only one or two songs do, but that is still a bit annoying. Overall, I rate this album a 7.5, congratulations on the new album guys!

c0bhc
    not a huge fan of atreyu, but i do like them. where are the real fans? all of their albums are rated pretty poorly on UG. i dont really understand
    kfong03
    I wanted a mix of The Curse and Lead Sails but this album is meh... too many filler songs