Lead Sails Paper Anchor review by Atreyu

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Atreyu: Lead Sails Paper Anchor

Ok first things first, I've never listened to their Suicide Notes and Curse albums. So this means that you won't be seeing me comparing Lead Anchor Paper Sails to their first two albums. Anyways I thought Lead Anchor Paper Sails was pretty decent. I'm guessing that it'll eventually grow on me and I'll like it even more. But for the moment, it's a decent album. Now I read that Atreyu was going to change their sound and whatnot but I did not expect this. The album has less screaming than their previous stuff with more melodic singing from vocalist Alex Varkatzas. Drummer Brandon Saller still provides his vocals as well and they sounds good as always. Marc McKnight also screams in the album too. I thought his screaming improved from "A Death-Grip On Yesterday". Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel are still as awesome as they were with the guitars. Shredding solos, heavy riffs, still good. Well the big change here in sound is obviously the vocals. They're not good, but not horrible either. But right now at the moment, I'm liking their direction of this. I know that a lot of the hardcore Atreyu fans hate it, but bands have to evolve and mature right?

The Lyrics. One thing that I find Atreyu lacking are the lyrics. They focus too much on the love gone wrong thing. If you watch the documentary of The Making of the Album, Alex also mentions this too. So in this album, it seems like they have a song for everyone. Whether it's the anthem, fist in the air Honor, the poppy mainstream song Falling Down, or even the anger filled, filthy mouth, high testosterone Blow. Alex's melodic singing vocals aren't the best but they compliment the songs good enough for Atreyu's standard. But the small doses of screaming are used very effective in the songs that they're in such as When Two Are One and Lose It. Brandon is still the cream of the crop for the singing. He's good as always and probably at his finest in Lead Anchor Paper Sails.

You really can't compare this album to their previous ones. For other bands, the only thing that I find related is Alex's switch from screaming to melodic vocals and M. Shadows' similiar path. The most impressive songs for this album in my opinion Honor and Blow for sure. Seriously after listening to Honor, there is no way that you can't possibly have the anthemic Fight Fight Fight Until The Break Of Dawn stuck in your head! That song is definitely one of my favorites on the album. Blow's lyrics are just awesome. "So f--king blow those words out the back of your head. I heard it all and I'm done with that shit!" This song pretty much answers to the fans and critics that pan and dislike Atreyu. Also one more thing that I was impressed was their cover of Faith No More's Epic. Atreyu gave that song their own take of it and it worked! Better than their Bon Jovi cover, that's for sure. What I loved about the album is that the album still has the Atreyu vibe in the guitar's department. Brandon's vocals are still kicking ass. Alex trys something new with the vocals and it's not bad. Hopefully they'll improve in the next album. The bad stuff about the album is that some of the songs barely have screaming. Falling Down has a very poppy sound that I did not like but luckly there were some elements in the song that saved it from being complete crap. If I lost the album, I probably might buy it even if it's a decent album.

AvengedThrice
    Johnny1029 wrote: I don't mean to be mean but Campbell22, M. Shadows can still scream its just he decided not for City of Evil and now their new album. It's proven in their new DVD that has a documentary on it that M. Shadows was planning on doing only singing on City of Evil while they were recording Waking the Fallen. It's a little fun fact.
    Theres also the fact that M. Shadows blew out his voice.