Lead Sails Paper Anchor review by Atreyu

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
Atreyu: Lead Sails Paper Anchor

The sound has really changed, it's so more professional. Some of their old stuff was so bad, I mean it was catchy and had good lyrics but it was just like a garage band. I think lead sails, paper anchor has really helped them become the band they always needed to become. As a guitarist, I don't like the way they have lost the heaviness they had for songs such as 'atleast I know I'm a sinner'. And I feel some of the songs on this album are really bad, just cheap and not worth being on an album. Maybe for an EP or a demo, but not an album. I think doomsday is a great opening to the album and Lead sails, paper anchor is a great, peaceful ending. "I'm setting sails, with anchors holding me down" is such a great way to say that you want to more on, but your just going nowhere. Excellent slow ending to their album. Oh no wait, we still have the faith no more cover, epic to come. I think this was a bad choice of cover. It just wasn't right for them. I felt that 'When two are one' was like their song from the curse, 'This Flesh, A Tomb' part 2 almost. In that song they say how much they couldn't live without someone and how much they love them, together forever sort of thing. And the lyrics in 'When two are one' say about coping through the break-up and how it went wrong. My favourite songs would have to be 'Doomsday', 'Becoming the bull', 'When two are one', and 'Lead sails, paper anchor'.

I think the lyrics have really changed since 'suicide notes and butterfly kisses', they used to sing about death, hatred and being broken hearted nonstop, to be honest, I was kind of getting sick of it, I feel that it's good they have broken out of that chain and matured almost. I feel that alex's lyrics have become more, professional, along with his voice and the sound. Although sadly I can't really relate to most of them, like I could with older atreyu. "Grab the bull by the horns, the old adges goes, nobody tells you where to go from there!" This is a great line, I love the way his voice projects it.

Atreyu have really changed since visions, with lots of different views of the fans like "They've Sold Out" and "They Have Changed For The New Fans". I don't think they have, you could see the change in the previous album 'Death-grip on yesterday' with some few less shouting songs such as 'The Theft' and they were gradually changing as all bands do. I do think Atreyu have changed, but not that it's a bad thing, ok so it doesn't sound like old Atreyu, but it's still good music! but I do think they have lost their shouting/singing trademark though, and they are still my favourite band.

bortbort
    I dont think it sounds anything like Annihilator, Thats an insult to a great band!!!!! Anyway, I didnt like the album at first, I loved Suicide and The Curse is one of my Favorite albums of all time!!!! Didnt care for the last one. My wife insisted on listening to it in the car. It grew on me. Theres a few really heavy grooving songs. Some cool riffs as well.