Lead Sails Paper Anchor review by Atreyu

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
Atreyu: Lead Sails Paper Anchor

This album is nowhere near as heavy as the last albums. There is a lot less screaming, and lead vocalist Alex Varkatzas instead decides he'll sing a lot more. Although this sounds okay on CD it doesn't work as well live because, guess what, he can't sing. Screamers should stay screamers. Brandon Saller still sounds great and bassist Marc McKnight's extra screams are a nice touch. Although I love Atreyu, they seem to have a habit of reusing the same writing techniques. Quite a few songs are written in the same format, too many songs have all instruments but one removed at the beginning of the last chorus (which is cool the first few times, gets kinda repetitive and un-epic after a whole album full of it) and Brandom Saller sings a bit of the last chorus higher in about 4 songs. On top of thios there aren't really any amazing riffs, although there are some cool solo, the one in When Two Are One is immense. I won't go into much detail about these songs, you're better off listening for yourself. I'll just give you my quick opinion. 01. Doomsday - good opener and was good live, but I find the chorus annoying. You'll find out I'm easily annoyed the once you read this review. 02. Honor - I'm undecided about this song, I guess it's okay. Has a catchy riff. 03. Falling Down - just annoying pop. Go home Atreyu. 04. Becoming The Bull - not a bad song, but not a great one. The layout of this song is similar to Doomsday, and they released them both as singles. Which annoyed me. 05. When Two Are One - possible the best song on the album. fast paced and in your face with a killer breakdown and face melting solo. 06. Lose It - one of the better moments on this album, and it was even better live. It's actually a really good song. Nice clean guitar in the verses. 07. No-One Cares - noone should care about this song. it's just annoying and cheesy. 08. Can't Happen Here - finally some full on screaming. And in an amazing song as well. there's something political going on here. 09. Slow Burn - kinda odd and dancey. I didn't mind it at first but it got old quickly. 10. Blow - you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Either way Josh Todd is an idiot. 11. Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) - although not conventional Atreyu this song is amazing and beautiful, one of the best off the album. Worryingly possibly The best song. 12. Epic - anything but epic to be honest. 13. Clean Sheets - just steer clear of this, it's just as well it's pretty hard to find on the Internet. It'll just assault your ears and make you want to kill yourself. I hope they were stoned when they came up with the idea of covering this. Or held at ransom. Although I've complained a lot and this album isn't really outstanding at any point overall it seems to work well and is entertaining. Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) is amazing, you shoudl really give it a listen.

In general the lyrics are good, there are some bits where every emo kid hears it and puts it straight in there screen name and others where you just wanna walk away and cry cause it was so cheesy. The lyrics go well with the music and suit the album, and the change between melodic singing and harsh vocals works well, it always has for Atreyu. As I've already said Alex Varkatzas sounds okay on the album when he sings, but he doesn't live. Brandon Saller is an amazing singer and I love his voice, he really makes some of the songs. The bassists added screams really make some areas feel a lot heavier and massive.

In my opinion this album isn't as good as Death-Grip or the Curse. I prefer Atreyu's heavier side. I don't know many albums that sound like this one. The best songs on this album are probably When Two Are One, Lose It, Can't Happen Here and Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor). I couldn't really put my finger on anything about this album I love or anything I hate. I guess the annoying poppiness in parts is a bit irritating. If this album was stolen I'd probably buy it again, it is good. Just not amazing.

kirkwannabe
    Personally, I think Atreyu should've screamed a litle more. Mix this style with the old one. I'm a metalcore artist so I'm a bit biased, but still, a little more screaming please. But as usual, great album.