Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 4, 2002
Atreyu: Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses

I would describe Atreyu as more of a metalcore band than anything, with hints of hardcore and also a lot of emotion, with the kind of lyrics you would expect from a straight emo band. More often than not, you get dark, low chords forming the base of the music, with intricate solos over the top. Both guitarists are competent and the sound is usually very good. There are occasions when particular songs don't work, but that's only because some of the tracks are very similar. However, if you overlook this you get a very simple, but effective sound, with plenty of unexpected changes, both in sound and tempo.

The lyrics are very emotional, and resemble those of bands like A Static Lullaby and From Autumn To Ashes. They generally tell stories of love and loss, and darker things like death. It's a very aggressive approach, but one that is done very well here. The vocals on most tracks are very good, however some of the screaming is more of a growl and SOMETIMES this lets it down. The singing, although rare, is also great, and the two blend together very well.

This really is a great album, and one that I strongly recommend to fans of A Static Lullaby, From Autumn To Ashes and any other kind of emotional hardcore bands like that. At first, I found the style a bit inaccessible, as I did with From Autumn To Ashes, but it really grows on you after only a couple of listens. Each song is well structured and this has quickly become one of my favourite albums. The best songs, for me, have to "A Song For The Optimists", "Deanne The Arsonist", "Dilated" and of course "Lip Gloss And Black", the epic finale that rounds of a brilliant album with the haunting chant "Live. Love. Burn. Die". This is an album that grabs you by the throat and screams at you until you understand - leaves you eagerly waiting for more. Bring on "The Curse".