Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 4, 2002
Atreyu: Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses

No one plays in such a melodic yet heavy way as atreyu does, two guitarists, two vocalists, one bassist, and one drummer shred like no other. This definitly isnt your average emo, this is metal and brutal shit at that. The guitar is incredible on every song but most notably on my personal favorite songs, Dilated, and Lip Gloss and Black. The way the lead singer screams and growls and the drummer/vocalist softly sings together with him sounds awsome.

The lyrics are incredible, rarely have I seen better lyrics writing. here are some examples from a song called A Song for the Optimists: "I watched my aspirations crash into the ground, on the backs of the angles that I've slain / But I meant so well and tried so hard, gave every ounce of my soul. To what end?" And from the song titled Tulips are Better: "Crystal Clear, I see the rose is frail / The thorns hid easily in its beauty / As I go to grasp it in my hand, my heart is torn beating from my chest" And another exerpt, this time from Lip Gloss and Black: "If I gave you pretty enough words, could you paint a picture of us that works, an emphasis on function, rather than design. Aren't you tired? Cause I'll carry you, on a broken back and blown out knees, I have been where you are. for a while. Arent you tired of being weak, such rage that you could scream all the stars right out of the sky. and destroy the prettiest starry night every evening that I die. alone."

This is Atreyu's first full lenght album, but they're third recording, they've recorded two EPs in the past but this marks the first time theyve put a real album out and it rocks. The lyrics may be emo but the music is metal and thats what counts. The only dissapointment is that it's very short clocking in at about 45 minutes, not to bad but I hate to see great ablums end fast. They're sophomore release comes out june 04 and if its anywhere near as good as this then go out and buy it the day it comes out, but while you wait, pick up Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses by Atreyu.