Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 4, 2002
Atreyu: Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses

What can I say, Atreyu have definitely improved their sound a lot on this CD compared to their previous two albums. The guitars are flawless, the drum work has improved greatly, and vocals are (to much relief) a lot better! One thing you will notice straight away is that the riffs are much cooler and catchier (take the song "Deanne The Arsonist" for example), and that the songs are structured a whole lot better. Sound-wise, everything has improved, which is great to see from this band. Before, their songs were a bit wild and crazy, but now they've matured a bit and the tracks off Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses are more serious and professional.

One of the things that make Atreyu stand out are the vocals. They have two vocalists; Alex, the screamer, and Brandon, the singer (and drummer as well). Alex has a unique scream, kind of a half-growl half-yell, and on this album it is good to hear that he has refined it a lot more, as it seems to sound more natural and less 'put-on'. The way the two share roles on the album is another example of how much more mature the band has become - their seems more stucture and organisation to the way they both add vocals to the songs. Lyrics-wise, things are a bit more serious this time compared to their first album, Visions. When I say serious, I mean that kind of emo-ish seriousness (though it does seem to go well with the melodic guitar work in the background). "I wish I could stop crying. And I wish that someone still loved me." The corny kind of lyrics are probably one of the only flaws on the album though.

Overall, Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses is a pretty solid release from Atreyu. It is not the best, but it is certainly a good listen. Compared to their previous album's, it is a vast improvement to say the least. Things are much more professionally done on this CD than before, from the way the instruments are played to the way the songs have been produced. The only minor flaws are the emo lyrics, and that a few songs are filler. Tracks to check out are "Dilated," "A Vampire's Laments," "Lip Gloss And Black" and "At Least I Know I'm A Sinner." If you like metalcore that kind of borders on hardcore punk, you will like this CD. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again. But I'd rather get The Curse, their even more recent album, which is a lot better.

DaBlackE
    Never heard this CD but it probably sucks as much as The Curse! F**K Atreyu
    Maggotkiller
    I dont have the actual cd on a disk I have it on my MP3 player but none the less it is a great album. Best songs are Deanne the Arsonist and someones standing on my chest!
    AngryGuitarist
    I am a huge fan of atreyu, and how do people call this their hardest cd? are you joking me? The curse was their hardest.
    Rize
    Style of Music wrote: Styles: Scandinavian Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
    Death Metal/Black Metal my ass. Atreyu is on the weak side of Metalcore. the bad side, might I add.
    xunholyknightx
    loserkid227 : No....FUCK U! assmunch. atreyu kicks ass and this is there best cd so **** off!
    nice man
    angels side
    yeah F*** anybody who does not like atreyu. Atreyu kicks ass. the best songs on this album i think are Living each day like your already dead, deanne the arsonist, lip gloss and black and a song for the optimist. ATREYU ROCKS!!!!!
    xheartcorex
    Atreyu are amazing. "Dilated" is their best song, IMHO. It's a damn shame they've changed their sound somewhat comparing to "Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses". And no, Atreyu is not metalcore. It's melodic hardcore. Pure and simple.
    rcmeyers
    Atreyu freakin rock I would recomend this cd. I agree it is simply melodic hardcore.
    rcmeyers
    Atreyu freakin rocks! I would recomend this cd. I really haven't heard much of their other Cds except for Butterfly kisses, but I'm hooked now!!