Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 4, 2002
Atreyu: Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses

This album is totally mind blowing! It's definately one of my favourites, although it only contains 10 songs. 'A Song For The Optimists', what a great song. This isn't the best song by Atreyu, but it's enough to really prepare you for the rest of the album! I really like the sound that Atreyu create; A really heavy and thick sound, with guitarist Dan Jacobs' beautiful, soothing tunes and solos. I think that that comination is just amazing. In this album, they also sound really unprofessional, which is one of the key reasons I like Atreyu so much. 'Living Each Day Like Your Already Dead' has the same tune as 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' except it sounds horrible, I mean what a rip off. 'Living each day like your already dead' is competing with the 'Epic' cover for the worst song in the entire history of Atreyu!

Lyrically, 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' and 'Lip Gloss And Black' are the best songs on this disc. 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' is definately the most powerful song I have ever listened to that is about the christianity faith. I think the song's lyrics are immense, how they get so much feelings and hatred through to the listener in just 3 verses and a 3 chorus', it's just such great song. "Judge me, f--k you!", this line is great, battling with "We were given this life to live, not exist under standards set by some bullshit rulebook" for the best line of the song. 'Lip gloss and black', I love what Alex was saying in this song, that he loves someone so much, that he will carry them with a broken back and blown out knees. That's really saying something! He can really project so much love and so many other feelings in simple words, it's so talented. "Live, love, burn and die" is the best way to define the lives we live, how did they even manage to write this! I seriously admire Alex for writing these lyrics, and the guitarist for writing the solo.

Now, 'Lip Gloss And Black'. Oh my god. This song, I can't even describe it, I just love everything about it, the intro, the screaming, the chorus "Aren't you tired of being weak?", the piano and the incredible guitar solo! What else does this song need? It has to be most certainly one of, or possibly the best songs my ears have ever heard. it's definately the best Atreyu song so far. The ending with the piano was so beautiful, Then, sadly the album ended with a crackling sound just like it started with before 'A song for the optimists'. Honestly, If there wasn't a few let down songs, such as 'Living each day like your already dead', this album would be so close to a perfection in the entire music industry.

archangelseren
    the guitars are recorded badly which is its major downfall and makes it hard to listen to, even though the songs are good, i cant enjoy it
    Me2NiK
    I like Atreyu -- well, actually, I suppose it's more accurate to say that I like this album, because I can't really listen to any other Atreyu, it really is bad -- but these genre labels are terribly out of whack. SNBK is metalcore. It's certianly on the lighter end of metalcore, but it's metalcore. The Curse and beyond, however, are not.
    TheDisturbed78
    wildchild6660 wrote: They're DEFINITELY not death metal. They're Screamo/Metalcore
    screamo is some shit, atreyu is not screamo, The Used is screamo, you know nothing on the other hand, this album was when atreyu was at their best