The Best Of... Review

Atreyu: The Best Of...
Release Date: Jan 23, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Punk Metal, Alternative Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal, Screamo
The Best Of... is Atreyu's final release on Victory Records, after recently being signed to Hollywood Records. The collection takes songs from the band's first 3 albums.
 Lyrics: 6.3
 6.6
 6.2
 6.9
The Best Of... Reviewed by: cleft11, on january 23, 2007

Sound: Atreyu are a leading edge metalcore band, arguably the best in their sub-genre, and overlapping into others. Their sound is distinctive, if you played a song to a person into modern rock music, they could identify that it is Atreyu, and possibly even the track title. This 'Greatest Hits' CD/DVD, and I call it that loosely, is Victory Records for what they really are. You may or may not know that Atreyu are leaving the label, and this is Victory sucking all of the money out of the band. They did this without Atreyu's permission, and I defend the band. I would recommend that other bands signed to the label follow suit and look for a better label. I would give this a worse rating, but I have to admit there are a few decent songs on there, but as I own all three albums, I see no need for this CD. One for the completists. // 5

Lyrics: It basically contains songs from all three albums, all of the released songs, which aren't that many, and other songs included just to fill up space on the CD, and to tempt people to buy it. The DVD is useful, if you want all of their vidoes which you can put on you iPodand other mp4 players, or just for general entertainment. Alex and Brandon are talented singers/screamers, I still really like the band, I just think that Victory are milking what talent Atreyu have to make millions, which is extremely immoral. // 5

Overall Impression: If you do not own any of the previous three albums, then I would recommend you buy this as a cheap introduction the the band over a large timescale, and then buy their older albums. Otherwise, avoid this fake attempt at ripping the general public off. If somebody stole this, which I doubt they would, I would not replace it, but I never would have bought it in the first place. // 5

The Best Of... Reviewed by: MCRkid22, on may 16, 2007

Sound: Although The Best Of Atreyu is thought to be released too early for true hits to be counted, The Best Of Atreyu doesnt't fail. The CD features singles recorded by the band on their previous three albums, as well as songs that didn't get so much airplay, but are still just as amazing. Inside the wrapper, The Best Of Atreyu looks a little tame. A cartoon cutesy sheep decorates the outside cover, and just a drop of red liquid, which we all know to be blood, is dribbling from the sheeps lips. Seems not so metal as it is classic sellout work. That is, until you unwrap it, and take apart the cardboard front cover to unveil the truth. Underneath the cutesy sheep is a demon goat on the true cover, positively splattered with blood and with a fearsome demonic tongue, seems a bit more on the Atreyu side. However, we all know what matters is UNDER the cover, and I couldn't have been more happy with my purchase. Not only was there the 18 Track CD, featuring my all time Atreyu favorites, but there was also a DVD included in the package. Six Atreyu music videos, and some extra bonus stuff thrown in. Not to mention the bonus disk included with all the wonderful victory records bands you could handle in a sample. All in all, a wonderful audio/visual experiance. // 6

Lyrics: Atreyu's dual vocals has always been their calling card. With Verkatz's shredding screams, and Brandon's melodic intervals, Atreyu has become a dangerous band with something for everybody. The lyrics take websters dictionary, takes all the beautiful words, burns the rest and makes a song. You might have to pull out your own dictionary to listen along and get it, but in the end, the lyrics will still be just as beautiful, and just as hardcore as the guitars, the jumpy bass, and the thrashing drums. // 7

Overall Impression: Atreyu are definatly the leaders of the post-hardcore scene, taking on the rest with heartsmashing solos, and the double bass taking on the lead. Some of the most amazing tracks on this album include the ever popular Lip Gloss and Black, which pulls you in immediatly with some impressive dual guitar "wire tapping". Others include Bleeding Mascara, Atreyu's deadly first track on their album, The Curse. The guitar again holds a deathgrip on your eardrums, and doesn't let go 'til it's over. And then there's Creature, the 3/4 track which pounds the listener into metal submission. Pumping this song is worth the ear infection dude. Trust me. And finally, The Theft, a song riddled with passion, and the bands only true power ballad. Don't let that description scare you! Atreyu brings in the metal, and turns a power ballad into a roaring monster of a song. Verkatzas shows some impressive vocal talents on this, proving he can do more than explode the mic with demon snarls. The Theft also features one of the funnest chorus` to play in a long time. All in all, this CD is fun visually, with the cover, and of course, with the audio smashing in your ears, it's both. Mine smells a little like popcorn, which just adds another fun sense. Definatly worth the 13 dollars I paid for it. // 7

The Best Of... Reviewed by: metallica_rox!!, on july 16, 2007

Sound: Atreyu's music has been shown widely through the world of metalcore and has mainly shown in their rise in ranks of Victory Records. Atreyu has one of the greatest metalcore sounds out there and they have many great lyrics that tell stories and also express feelings and past experiences of the members of the band. This album has come along after 3 album releases from Atreyu and the music compilation has turned into The Best Of Atreyu. The layout of the album is divided into 3 parts which are the sections from the 3 albums previously released. This album contains most of my favorite songs from the artist and has laid them out in a good order with some album original music thrown in between the widely known songs. The album originals are also very good and could be released to the public but I guess Atreyu just did not want to do that. // 7

Lyrics: The Lyrics are mainly from past experiences from the members of the band. The lyrics give you an idea of the feelings of the band when they composed the song. The lyrics also go great with the music and are right on rhythm and nothing is really off and there is a balance of equal singing and screaming. Alex Varkatzas (vocals) has a great voice for both singing and screaming. Although he mainly does a range of low to high screams he also has a great singing voice which is showcased in the song The Theft. Brandon Saller (drums and vocals) has a great singing voice that is showcased through all of the songs usually in the chorus and in backing vocals of sections of echoing singing from Brandon and screaming from Alex. // 7

Overall Impression: The Best Of Atreyu compilation does compare to other albums as it is a gathering of great songs from past albums. Although there are no new songs from the band on this album there are many great songs that were previously released with the 3 earlier albums. Those songs include Lip Gloss And Black and Ain't Love Grand from Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses (2002), Demonology And Heartache and Right Side Of The Bed from The Curse (2004), and Ex's And Oh's and Shameful from A Death Grip On Yesterday (2006). The most impressive are the ones released to the public through radio and music videos on DVD's that were released from Victory Records. Those songs include The Crimson, Lip Gloss And Black, Ain't Love Grand, Ex's And Oh's, Demonology and Heartache, Right Side Of The Band, The Theft, and Shameful. Others were mainly album releases that were not that famous but also have a good sound. Those include A Song For The Optimists from SNABK, You Eclipsed By Me from The Curse, and Untitled Finale from ADGOY. I Love the way Atreyu has had a varying sound from album to album and the talent of Brandon to be able to play drums and sing at the same time and it not just be a simplified rhythm but some complex things. Also, Alex's screams are envied by some metal bands that wish to have a sound similar to Atreyu's. Alex's voice is showcased as singing in The Theft and is shown to be a great voice behind all the screaming vocals that are in other songs. There is little that I hate except for the fact that the song At Least I Know I'm A Sinner from Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses which was a great song with lyrics that were mainly Anti-Christian. If this album were stolen from me or if it was lost I would definitely buy a new copy because I truly cannot go without this great album that has shown that Atreyu is a very accomplished band. // 7

Comments