The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Atreyu: The Curse

I am a new atreyu fan. I have purchsed their other cd Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. Those songs sounded a little bit too much like the last one, there was no uniqueness in the songs and the vocals. Alex screamed the verses and Brandon sang the chorus. However, this new cd proves that Atreyu has definately matured due to the blending of the vocals and the wailing very unique guitar solos. When I first put the cd in, the intro was amazing using dark low vocals and strings to draw the listener in and as soon as it built up to the amazing intro of Bleeding Mascara, I knew this cd was a keeper. The guitar riffs in the beginning of that song are amazing and Alex's painful vocals add to the mood. Atreyu is one of the most unique bands of today combining strings, screaming guitars, screaming vocals, singing vocals, and a bass line that kills.

The lyrics represent the feelings of Alex V. He has experience depression, anxiety, and horrible relationships. He is expressing his pain and I read in an article that if he didn't have Atreyu and didn't have his music, he'd probably be dead. He has to get credit for putting his life on the line with his music. If he didn't do this, the world may have never experienced the uniqueness of his vocals and his lyrics. I also read that the band members read Anne Rice's vampire books and I read them too. I see a connection in their lyrics and song titles with vampire references. Such as the title of the disk and the song titles "Blood children", "This flesh a tomb", "The Crimson," and many others. I see a connection with all of the songs relating to Alex's horrible experiences and his overall feelings about his life. Also, Brandon's vocals add an amazing harmony to offset the screamo vocals. His vocals got stronger in this album and the blend between Alex and Brandon's vocals is amazing on this disc.

I really don't think there is another band out there that is completely like Atreyu. There are screamo bands, punk bands, orchestras, and rock bands. Atreyu took pieces of many different kinds of music and blended them in such a way that no one else could accomplish. The most impressive songs on the album are bleeding mascara, right side of the bed, the crimson, an interlude, and the rememberance ballad in my opinion. I love the diversity between the songs and the guitar solos that seem to fit in to every song perfectly. The only thing I dislike is that Brandon doesn't get to sing as much during the verses. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately buy it again and I'd kill the person that took it from me very painfully. It is an awesome buy, rush out right now and get it if you don't already have it. Atreyu has definately separated themself from the normal music scene that they were in. Good job Atreyu keep it up!