The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Atreyu: The Curse

Somebody told me if I was into Thrice, I'd like Atreyu. They were right. The similarity may not be very noticable, but there's something between the two bands and their sound that is very familiar. The band is amazing, hardcore/metal type of band. The guitarists/bassist have some of the most insane riffs I've heard from any band around today, and the drums sound great.

Ateryu's lyrics may seem a litte emo at first, but if you shut the hell up and listen to it, you may appreciate the complexity of they lyrics and how well thought out they are. Atreyu employs two singers - Alex Varkatzas (lead vocals) and Brandon Salles (drums/backing vocals). Alex does the screaming, while Brandon does the melodic parts, like the choruses. The lyrics go great with the music because their verse riffs are a lot harder (heavier) than the chorus riffs. So while the hard riff is playing, Alex is screaming (which I guess you could call growling. One review I've red said he has the voice of Satan, which I guess is really a good way to put it), and when the chorus riff comes in Brandon starts in, and the switch-off sounds really good.

If you like hardcore/emo/whatever stuff, i.e. Thrice, Avenged Sevenfold, AFI, etc, you'll like Atreyu. This is one of my favorite albums, and never leaves my CD player. My favorite songs on this album are "Right Side Of The Bed" because the solo is kick ass, "You Eclipsed By Me", "The Crimson", "The Remembrance Ballad", and "Demonology And Heartache". I like this album because it reminds me of a lot of other band I listen to (some of them listed above), and because of the agressiveness of the album, whether it's the lyrics, guitar riffs, etc. If it was lost or stolen, I'd probably buy it again. It's a good album. Go buy it.