The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Atreyu: The Curse

I love this CD. It seems to emcompass my favorite styles of music: heavy metal and punk. The band consists of 2 guitarists, a bassist, a drummer/vocalist and another vocalist. Each song on this album consists of a verse of the screamo styles of the lead vocalist. Most of these verses show anger and remorse. Then the chorus comes and it is the other singer. This singer sings in a more punk style and I really think that the dual vocals are brilliant. The guitar styles also change along with the vocal change and it works amazingly well. The guitars also are well timed and work together in an amazing way, with one playing higher solos and the other playing the deeper, harder, crunchier metal peices.

Lyrics are excellent. Having just come out of a relationship I can relate to many if not all the lyrics, especially the choruses. Lines like 'every tear I never cried sealed your f--ing fate' and 'whos sleeping on my side of the bed' show great anger and passion that are really effective. Thought some of the screamo parts are hard to decipher, the choruses use the guys voice and the great lyrics to blend together into a brilliant song. Amazing lyrics.

Though I had not heard any other songs from Atreyu, I have to say I am impressed. My favorite album that I own. This is one of those albums that never gets old or annoying. If you didn't know the singles from the other songs you wouldnt be able to tell because no songs are noticably worse than any other song. All are brilliant. Recommended for metal fans, and also for fans of the harder, heavier punk. You won't regret you bought this, I swear. If I lost this CD I would hunt down the man who did it and kill him, cos this is an amazing CD. Just brilliant. No doubt about this straight 5s.