The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Atreyu: The Curse

The sound on "The Curse" will please everyone. From the fist pumping riff of "Right Side Of The Bed" to the headbangin fest of "Bleeding Mascara" to the clean picked lead guitar of "The Crimson" there's something here for everyone. The sound can range from crunching to slow and emotional without comprimising or feeling out of place, something many bands fail to do these days. Being on the road has definitely taugh Atreyu a few things about songwriting. There are emo moments blended in with metal and hardcore, surely this will please everyone, even old school solos are here.

The lyrics are pretty good, they're mostly about relationships I think butthe subject matter doesn't become tiresome. The lyrics seem to be more vengeful than beautiful or metaphorical but they still cut it complimenting the music and making for a great album. The singing is much much better, the vocals switch better Alex and Brandon with melodic singing and gruff howling interchanging constantly.

Ok this album is really a great record with something for everyone, it has great musicianship, songwriting and while not fully original it's certainly the best cd of this "emo/metal" genre that I've heard. the most impressive songs are "Bleeding Mascara," "Right Side Of The Bed," "The Crimson" and "Rememberance Ballad" with only "Corsetting" being a disappointing song. Definitely a highlight in my CD collection, I love it for it's honesty, tunes, riffs, solos and much more. This album will not dissapoint.