The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Atreyu: The Curse

The band's influences are noticed as bluntly as a brick to the skull. Much of what I heard sounds all to nearly like From Autumn To Ashes, Avenged Sevenfold, Eighteen Visions and Underoath. Funny, how a band like this, along with it's fashon-weary follower drones, can claim originality at all. Why is this any different, in that sense, than run-of-the-mill artsists such as Blink-182 or Nickelback, playing to satisfy the cravings of their emotionally defunct teenage fanbase? Sure, they're "metalcore" and/or "screamo" and/or "hardcore." So is nearly every other band being formed these days. Citing the tyranny of these metalcore bands over the 'underground' scene, I'd have to say that metal is on a quick downward spiral into the abyss that is pop, where rock, punk, country and rap have already fallen.

To relay my thoughts on Atreyu's lyrics on this album, as well as on their last, I'll write my own Atreyu song! Feel free to incorporate these into your next hardcore screamo band.

This band, as before stated, can be lumped in with bands such as the Agony Scene, Avenged Sevenfold, Eighteen Visions, and so on and so forth. But even then, sadly, they cower like a starving dog in comparison to these bands and many others. I'm going to say something that has been said before. These guys need to spend more time on their music than on their hair and make-up. Either that or indulge in the wonderful world of cosmology.