The Curse review by Atreyu

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Atreyu: The Curse

When I first bought this album, I thought it was great, although I never really got into all the songs, I never have. What I first liked from this album was that it had 14 tracks to it, unlike the usual stingy 10 your expecting from Atreyu. I loaded it up, and started playing the whole album throguh, starting with track 01 - blood children, very similar to Walking the fallen by Avenged sevenfold's introduction to their 2003 album. Then after blood children, came in bleeding mascara "cor", I was stunned at the beautiful sound. The screaming, the guitar sweeping, the drums, the heavy bass, it was just perfect. Then right side of the bed was a good track to follow on from the unbelievably awesome bleeding mascara. I think this was a real tune up for Atreyu. I didn't find too many of the rest of the tracks interesting or easy to like, other than 'Five vicodin with a shot of clarity', 'The crimson' and despite it's reasonably popy singing, 'This flesh a tomb'. Other than that, I thought the rest of the album wasn't too great, but some of the tracks were the best I've ever heard.

"I feel it welming up inside, and Robert Smith lied, boys do cry". what a great line! ay? it's such a good song, The crimson. I think lyrically, the best song has to be This flesh a tomb, with the finishing line "And I feel immortal, and I wanna make you feel the same", how good is that!? although I feel it's a really cheesy and corny song, I find it very, very good and easy listening. I think the singer is really making the most of their catchy, excellent voice they use in the chorus. I think it really makes Atreyu sound the part. We heard some of it in 'Lip gloss and black' from their previous album. Now they include that in almost every song, which I find excellent! I think Alex's shouting is best in this album, "Suicide notes and butterfly kisses" was more just shouting. But this is shouting with a tune, with passion, with something you can really flip out and mosh to! it's amazing.

So far, I think this is Atreyu's best album, despite my love of a few immense songs on their other albums. The thing with Atreyu is, they have some superb songs, some my favourite ever. But they always have some really, bad if I must say songs. Some that are just so unprofessional and unworthy of such a great band. They have them tracks on every album which upsets me in a way. In this album, we start to see a change, more songs dominated by singing, not shouting. We see Atreyu softening up, gradually losing their well known original sound of screaming then for a chorus, singing. it's a shame really but I suppose every band changes.

frankibo
    haha its true trivium so want to be metallica now. but this album is awesome. beyond belief. from the moment you hear bleeding mascara burst in from the intro you know this shit is whacked.
    dicer4
    there lyrics are all love lyrics "will you still hold me..... " "when you kiss me do you still tatse tar" "look How Pretty she is...." ****in awsaem songss there awsemm and awsem is awsme awsem
    RJA_7
    Why the **** are they labled as death metal, black metal and sludge metal?? Thats bullshit. They are metalcore.