Attack Attack! review by Attack Attack!

• Released: Jun 8, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Attack Attack!: Attack Attack!

Crabcore. Yep, remember that music video that had the hipster crabs doing their crabby thang in it? It's this bands video, and they're back with their self titled album. Luckily, there isn't any crabbing to be done on this album, but even with the lack of ridiculousness this is still just a mediocre record at best. It's typical nu-metalcore at its best, guaranteed to make the trendy girls wet, but really no one more than that, except me. But I'm an exception. Upon first listen of this band, you'll hear the stereotypical staples of this genre of music today: heavily tuned guitars with lots of brutal lows, and lots of candy bubblegum electronica with clean singing all mish moshed together. There are also some other genre's that can be found on this album, including rap, euro-pop and even some dubstep. In some parts this is done pretty well, while in other parts it's a major WTF, although it's not nearly as abrasive as Someday Came Suddenly was. Gone are the the incredibly clich and cheesy party dance synths, thank God. On this album there continue to be synths, but in 90% of the parts on the album, it's executed fairly well, staying nice and fun without being homosexual'd into the dirt. The guitars are what you would expect from Attack Attack: incredibly easy. Guitarwise this isn't any better than their last record, I could probably play all these songs with my guitar around by ankles, or even standing with my knees spread apart, crouched down and with my head bobbing back-and-forth making my dyed hair woosh all nicely oh wait.

Well, the lyrics math the music alright. These lyrics suck though. Pretty much every single song is about either girls (who could've called THAT one?!) or their ex-vocalist Austin being a jerk. I wouldn't have a problem with either of these, but the songs about chicks are exceptionally cheesy, and the lyrics in the songs about Austin are exceptionally generic and, well, stupid. Take AC-130, probably overall the worst song on the CD for example: You think you could be God Who appointed you judge You take yourself too seriously Keep building your walls? up higher Then you can be your own king You're better off dead You're better off dead C'mon seriously? I wrote better lyrics when I was a pissed off 12 year old. These guys still have a lot of progressing to do song-writing wise, but who cares when you're attractive?!

Overall, this is a very boring and average modern sceniecore album. If you're expecting something groundbreaking don't look to this album for any inspiration. Like I said, it's better than their last one by far, but still not really that great. I hate to rate this so low, but I guess I'm just not into this album. Maybe I'm just a butthurt old AA fanboy, but hey, judge for yourself. Recommended tracks: Sexual Man Chocolate, Smokahontas, A For Andrew.

EpiExplorer
    If you'd said that to anyone in person, you'd get a mocking. And yes, electro-post-emo-hardcore-whutever has never been a good idea..
    ninjagayden777
    I'll take the low road and actually admit I LOVED this album. No they aren't ****ing Dragonforce, but simplicity is an art form all its own. Plus, there are WAY worse bands that deserve the hate far more (brokeNCYDE anyone?)
    Lostprophets$$$
    mmm_watcha_say
    sneyob wrote: I really liked their first album, but this one is just another band trying to be ADTR. They ruined the one part I liked about them by trying to be all heavy and emo. The poppy techno was the best part, and even now that's gone.
    They're definitely not trying to be ADTR....ADTR is way more punk-ish. This isn't the greatest album though, just more generic metalcore.
    Alpha_Wolf
    metalxsymphony wrote: GuerillaGorilla wrote: Lostprophets$$$ wrote: Generic, simple album? Yeah. Unfortunately, unlike the rest of UG, generic and simple doesn't automatically equal bad for me. Music doesn't have to be groundbreaking or incredibly technical to be good. If someone enjoys it, then it's good music, regardless of whether or not I enjoy it myself. Anyway, back to the point, I love this album for the: .heavyheavyHEAVY riffs (intro to Smokahontas, anyone?) .REALLY catchy choruses (I'm looking at you again, Smokahontas) .Diversity (Shut Your Mouth and Lonely) .The actual ABOVE-average lyrics they also include, which the reviewer so hastily ignored (I Swear I'll Change, Fumbles O'Brian, Smokahontas again) .The amount of FUN in the album and band (intro to Fumbles O'Brian says it all really) If you take them as a serious band and judge them as such, compared to actual serious bands, you're an ignorant douche. They make their music 'cause they like having fun, rather than concentrating on technicality or being groundbreaking, and kudos to them for it. I thought that was what music was all about? Not caring what people think about the way you look or the music you make, and just enjoying what you do? I suggest you go watch some of their studio and tour updates on YouTube before you try and judge them as people and claim to hate them. If the elitist music "lovers" have a problem with that, then you can quite frankly, get the F*CK out, and leave the people that DO enjoy it alone. You don't see us flaming Pink Floyd and Necrophagist all the time because we don't personally enjoy them/think they look stupid, do you? /butthurt scene kid rant Here's a tip that saves you trouble in the future: don't get defensive about bands you like. Trust me, no good comes from it- as a Muse fan, there's a good bit of Muse hate that I've learned to ignore. Getting defensive doesn't change their mind, it just makes people flame more. And for fun, some people see fun as cheesy/selling out in music. For me personally, a lot of what you call fun seems phoned in for me, which is why don't like the band. It all just seems formulated to appeal to as many scene kids as possible to me. But if you like the band, more power to ya. GuerillaGorilla wrote: Lostprophets$$$ wrote: Generic, simple album? Yeah. Unfortunately, unlike the rest of UG, generic and simple doesn't automatically equal bad for me. Music doesn't have to be groundbreaking or incredibly technical to be good. If someone enjoys it, then it's good music, regardless of whether or not I enjoy it myself. Anyway, back to the point, I love this album for the: .heavyheavyHEAVY riffs (intro to Smokahontas, anyone?) .REALLY catchy choruses (I'm looking at you again, Smokahontas) .Diversity (Shut Your Mouth and Lonely) .The actual ABOVE-average lyrics they also include, which the reviewer so hastily ignored (I Swear I'll Change, Fumbles O'Brian, Smokahontas again) .The amount of FUN in the album and band (intro to Fumbles O'Brian says it all really) If you take them as a serious band and judge them as such, compared to actual serious bands, you're an ignorant douche. They make their music 'cause they like having fun, rather than concentrating on technicality or being groundbreaking, and kudos to them for it. I thought that was what music was all about? Not caring what people think about the way you look or the music you make, and just enjoying what you do? I suggest you go watch some of their studio and tour updates on YouTube before you try and judge them as people and claim to hate them. If the elitist music "lovers" have a problem with that, then you can quite frankly, get the F*CK out, and leave the people that DO enjoy it alone. You don't see us flaming Pink Floyd and Necrophagist all the time because we don't personally enjoy them/think they look stupid, do you? /butthurt scene kid rant Here's a tip that saves you trouble in the future: don't get defensive about bands you like. Trust me, no good comes from it- as a Muse fan, there's a good bit of Muse hate that I've learned to ignore. Getting defensive doesn't change their mind, it just makes people flame more. And for fun, some people see fun as cheesy/selling out in music. For me personally, a lot of what you call fun seems phoned in for me, which is why don't like the band. It all just seems formulated to appeal to as many scene kids as possible to me. But if you like the band, more power to ya. Dude, that everything you said would make sense, but honestly, you can still be creative without being technical. The fact is that they are technical NOR creative. Adding all these pieces isn't smart, they're just randomly adding stuff and most of it is just breakdowns and then dancey keys part repeat. And why the hell would I listen to someone who doesn't seem to even care one bit about their own music? They are riding a wave, they make money off of scene kids and you know it.
    HOLY SHIT! QUOTE MUCH?!
    r0ckth3d34n
    Attack attack! is amazing Best band ever next to Abandon All Ships and The Devil Wears Prada Lolwut? (did he really just say that and actually mean it?!?!)
    metalxsymphony
    AdenZerda
    Terrible album and band and a review that looks like a forum post. This should be a good comments section.
    Echoplex
    Sweet Jesus I hate this band more than life its self, but nice review.
    TheAbsentOne
    In terms of musical talent, yes these guys do completely suck. But their older music from SCS gets pretty catchy at points. I still can't stand random screeching and death-metal-ish heavy guitars, it seems so pointless and out of sync. What gets me in their old songs was the synth and clean vocals I guess. To each their own though, I know a lot of people who love this stuff.. And only this hardcore-whatevercore-nu-metalcore-randomcore music..
    Tapping_Ninja
    Lostprophets$$$ wrote: Generic, simple album? Yeah. Unfortunately, unlike the rest of UG, generic and simple doesn't automatically equal bad for me. Music doesn't have to be groundbreaking or incredibly technical to be good. If someone enjoys it, then it's good music, regardless of whether or not I enjoy it myself. Anyway, back to the point, I love this album for the: .heavyheavyHEAVY riffs (intro to Smokahontas, anyone?) .REALLY catchy choruses (I'm looking at you again, Smokahontas) .Diversity (Shut Your Mouth and Lonely) .The actual ABOVE-average lyrics they also include, which the reviewer so hastily ignored (I Swear I'll Change, Fumbles O'Brian, Smokahontas again ) .The amount of FUN in the album and band (intro to Fumbles O'Brian says it all really) If you take them as a serious band and judge them as such, compared to actual serious bands, you're an ignorant douche. They make their music 'cause they like having fun, rather than concentrating on technicality or being groundbreaking, and kudos to them for it. I thought that was what music was all about? Not caring what people think about the way you look or the music you make, and just enjoying what you do? I suggest you go watch some of their studio and tour updates on YouTube before you try and judge them as people and claim to hate them. If the elitist music "lovers" have a problem with that, then you can quite frankly, get the F*CK out, and leave the people that DO enjoy it alone. You don't see us flaming Pink Floyd and Necrophagist all the time because we don't personally enjoy them/think they look stupid, do you? /butthurt scene kid rant
    the title of those songs just make me think the lyrics are not more than meets the eye... Nor are they transformers which would make them more awesome.... But I will say this I did notice the autotune was gone which made them slightly better... But lets face it these guys just aren't that good. I'm not going to say they're terrible or worse band in the world, but they defeintly aren't going to be winning some awards for being awesome... Their just a trend that will fade away just like hair metal (though apparently Ratt, Posion, and Extreme didn't get the memo...)
    synestershadows
    ^DragonForce sucks just about as much as these guys. Why does Sturgis have to record all these horrible bands? The only good bands that he has produced are FTFD and APFP. The rest sound almost exactly the same.
    GuerillaGorilla
    GuerillaGorilla
    GuerillaGorilla wrote: Here's a tip that saves you trouble in the future: don't get defensive about bands you like. Trust me, no good comes from it- as a Muse fan, there's a good bit of Muse hate that I've learned to ignore. Getting defensive doesn't change their mind, it just makes people flame more. And for fun, some people see fun as cheesy/selling out in music. For me personally, a lot of what you call fun seems phoned in for me, which is why don't like the band. It all just seems formulated to appeal to as many scene kids as possible to me. But if you like the band, more power to ya.
    personal edit: I made it sound like all "fun" sounds cheesy. My bad- change that to "some band's idea of fun."
    tancanada
    AdenZerda wrote: Terrible album and band and a review that looks like a forum post.
    nashawa
    Weeeeooooo! Go Tanner! Congrats on the front page. Why didn't you mention the blatant Emmure ripoff though?
    jussirules
    i like this band, but i 100% agree with the review... it's nothing special, but i still like it
    ironman316
    I like that they put in some Dubstep in a couple of the songs. No one's done that before!
    scb69
    wow idk why everyone is hating on this album. I mean seriously it wasn't bad at all and its better than scs the songs on that album were to repetitive, and yes they did get rid of their techno synth but they have Dubstep now which is even better! The only thing i dont like is that its to short and the rap style songs are a little annoying but hey these guys basically went into the studio without a real vocalist an said we're gonna make the best music we possibly can, so you cant expect it to be perfect but its not bad at all.
    readymade98
    nashawa
    readymade98 wrote: Crab-core is super fun to do playing live. Their guitar talent is limited, but the programming and the melodies are way too impressive. They are pioneers. Super good band.
    Pioneers? How?
    Vinushka
    NemX162 wrote: Vinushka wrote: Talentless schizophrenic douchecore. Why can't I go lower than 1? Fuck yourself.
    U mad.
    Jsteele1408
    Jon777
    Great review. I'll make sure I don't check this out. Crabcore is fairly amusing, though. The jist of it: -BREAKDOWN, GAIZ! -Auto-tuned wimpy cleans -BREAKDOWN, GAIZ! -ANOTHER BREAKDOWN, GAIZ! -Auto-tuned wimpy cleans -BREAKDOWN! -...techno!
    Sean117
    they sound nothing like ADTR...not even close. I love both bands though, i liked this album but it could have been longer.
    kaizerkhan13
    dude, crabcore is no more retarded/gay/needs to be eradicated than hardcore dancing in general. shouldnt have expected an actual review of this album without scene kid bashing...but i cant blame anyone who does it, AA's image kind of encourages it. lol. anyway...i liked it. i feel like these guys listened to a bunch of plea for purging and other detuned heaviness, which worked pretty well lol. good album, good people, good band. say what you will.
    TheAbsentOne
    I personally liked Someday Came Suddenly, but everything I hear from this album makes me go "Well this sucks." I'll admit I'm not a usual fan of this hardcore/metalcore whatever you call this stuff, Attack Attack! Was just different in a good way. But this album feels too different. I don't enjoy it. Anyways, I deleted all my tracks from these guys months ago.. It gets old *shrug* I still laugh at the "crabcore" thing though.
    pyritmann
    worst album ever... seriously, I didn't mind the first one, but I have a hard time believing that they did this album being serious, it's just awful.
    NemX162
    Fuck yourself.
    r0ckth3d34n
    It's Dubcore. Way better than Someday Came Suddenly. Way more talent involve. There's no autotune in the vocals, there's actually some depth to the screaming vocals. The synth is way more fresh and modern sounding. The guitar in general sounds way better. The only negative thing I can find about the album is the length. It's a complete improvement from their old album.
    EpiExplorer
    Jsteele1408 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Crabcore. Yep, remember that music video that had the hipster crabs doing their crabby thang in it? If you'd said that to anyone in person, you'd get a mocking. Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure everyone on the planet with a moderately functional brain thinks that video and the Crabdancing was completely ridiculous.
    Its an English thing. You wouldnt get it, probably.
    Yoorai
    I've seen some of their videos. They seem to be bunch of emo-decorated gays, no offense though.
    Boxiii
    This review sucked, although the album isn't that good. They did get rid of the auto tuning, but the screams are so bland.
    sneyob
    frankibo
    This album is a lot better then the first one. It's still absolutely terrible and the sum of all the generic metalcore clichs though.
    frankibo
    They actually wouldn't be that bad if they could do more then chug and play a few chords for a chorus. The guitaring really lets them down breakdown chorus breakdown chorus breakdown =/= a song
    kill-the-scene
    SCS is so much more credible than this. The guitar parts really let it down a bag-full. Just Iron Maiden style chugging with none of the melody. Their synth guy is awesome though.