Outlawed review by Attila

• Released: Aug 16, 2011
Attila: Outlawed

Attila are the very essence of heavy partying. Since thier first Artery recording, "Rage", I've been hooked on thier catchy simplicity, IDGAF attitude, and sick writing. Outlawed picks up where Rage left off, with plenty of heavy riffs, interesting leads, and creative drum fills. The music has the tone of a deathcore band, but is significantly more bouncy. Definately easy to mosh to or rock out at home with some friends. Not anything that hasn't been done before, but they do it well. I also found the guitar leads were more common on this album, showcasing that they aren't incapable of playing more complex material. They just prefer things simple, with the occasional flourish, which fits them extremely well.

The lyrics are pretty much the same as last time: parties, women, booze and blunts. While I aplaud them for writing for what they actually know about, I can't help but wonder what they'd sound like if they had at least one song on this album that wasn't about getting trashed or laid... There are also some true groaner moments on this album. The "drity talk" in the song Dirty Mouth could have been left out entirely, and Payback, while fun, gets sort of annoying by the time the "rap screams" kick in. Yet overall, they pull everything off well. Just not tastefully. Vocally, Attila have improved by miles. The low death growls are more pronounced and sound less forced like they did on "Rage". The mid range shouts are far better as well. Just like last time, don't expect any cleans on this album.

For lack of better words, I have to say this album is hella-fun. Attila have found thier niche, and continue to dig themselves a spot further in it, becoming one of the few heavy bands I would recommend playing at parties. Equal parts frat throwdown, hardcore intensity, and metal edge, "Outlawed" is an album that, despite being lyrically monotonous, is a great listen. For fans of: Dr. Acula, Asking Alexandria, Upon A Burning Body.

SOADbeast
    How can anyone hate Attila???? I loved all 3 albums, they are great musicians
    CFH-For-Life
    Reign77
    this is the only deathcore / metalcore whatever screamo band i actually like anymore keep it comin
    Loki_37
    CFH-For-Life wrote: I also found the guitar leads were more common on this album, showcasing that they aren't incapable of playing more complex material. ...Have you heard the end solo to 'Soda In The Watercup'? OR 'Jumanji'? They've been writing pretty complex material since 'Soundtrack to a Party' came out in '07. Anyways, I feel that this album deserves a better rating than it has. Its no 10/10 album or anything, but its way better than a 6.7 or a 7.3. I'd probably give this album a good 8.75 overall. For those of you who aren't familiar with Attila, check out 'Soundtrack To A Party' and 'Rage' (the previous albums.) Fuckin sick.
    I haven't heard the album but 7.3 is a "good" rating. 8.75 is basically an instant AOTY contender the way this site reviews stuff normally.
    sheriff_nein
    experimental? not really.... but then again, i hate Atilla very, very much. but i wish bands would stop being labeled as "experimental" when they arent.