Audioslave review by Audioslave

• Released: Nov 19, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Audioslave: Audioslave

I am an avid Soundgarden fan, and I also think that Rage was a sweet band too, but I wasn't sure what this was going to be like. I have to say that Morello once again rises to the occasion with his incredible guitar work, and Cornell's vocals were as strong as ever, but for some reason that I can't place, I just don't think I like the feel of this compilation. The bass was pretty shallow, drum beats were repetitive and stale, and there was too much of that "oooh baby" feel to the sound of "I Am The Highway". Talent is in abundance among the members, but not used to the fullest potential.

Cornell has had one of the most gripping, jaw-dropping voices of the past twenty years, and this album is no different. Even though he's getting a bit older, he still showed that he's still got a set of pipes on him. The lyrics to "Like A Stone" and "Show Me How To Live" are classic Cornell, but some of the other tracks were not so impressive. Overall good effort, but still needs work.

I borrowed this album from a guy I know, he thinks it's totally lame, but I at least gave credit where it was due. Sound quality was decent, vocals and lyrics were at the very least substantial, and presentation was pretty good. Not a favorite of mine, but I hope that they record a follow-up album so I can get a better grasp of their mission statement.