Audioslave review by Audioslave

• Released: Nov 19, 2002
Audioslave: Audioslave

The sound in this album is quite awesome. We're aware of the distinct sounds of Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden, but this album is like a melting point for the two giants of the '90s. Cornell's vocals are like none other and even though he isn't as powerful as his SG days, he is still a couple of levels above most singers. His vocals towards the end of "Shadow On The Sun" shows the vocal power of the man, if you already don't know him. Tim Commerford can be heard throughout clearly, as his bass style is quite 'active' especially on "Bring 'Em Back Alive". Brad Wilk is there as usual with his ever-impressive drum work. Mr. Tom Morello needs no introduction, His riffs are really fiery as usual and his unorthodox soloing works just as awesome with this band as did with RATM.

The lyrical work has the word 'Soundgarden' written all over it. The obvious difference being that Chris Cornell's lyrics are a lot personal than that of Zack De La Rocha's political views. This is probably a good thing for the rest of the band, as this actually allows them to extend out their musical abilities. The lyrical work is absolutely superb like in "I Am The Highway", "Shadow On The Sun" and "Like A Stone" and they are sung the way they should be sung. If you are a close listenner of the lyrics [like myself], this is a treat, and a rarity amongst many of the records that are out there recently.

Before Audioslave was created, if I was to think of what Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine together would sound like, I would've got the exact same expression as I got from this album. This album stood out on the first listen, then it kept getting better and better after a few listen. If I was to make a personal comment to the readers, I'd say turn off your computer, grab some money and go to the record store. it's that good. This album gets a 10 out of 10 in my opinion, simply due to it's integrity. If my copy gets stolen one night, the next morning I'll go and buy it before I do my breakfast. Thanks for reading this review.

SlinkyMcdougall
    "You won't hear Zach singing Audioslave anytime soon, or Chris singing Rage." Umm....they do Rage covers live. Not nearly as good as good as Zach. I agree with this dude above me, Zach had an energy Chris will never have.
    Walternativo
    "rage fans are out of luck"? No Im not. This album got me hooked on what is now my favorite band. Audioslave
    socio_blackbird
    i agree with walternativo. audioslave is now my favorite band because of this album, and although the other two albums are good one, this one by far is the best.
    Covin
    I think Chris is better than Zach. Zach has a lot of energy, but his attitude sounds childish at times. Cornell has a sense of brutal maturity in his lyrics and vox, whereas Zach is just pissed off. That's just my opinion though, and I'm sure others will tear it to shreds.
    Walternativo
    The thing about that is, you dont have to choose and you cant. Things are like this: you CAN listen to Rage. You CAN listen to Soundgarden. You CAN listen to Audioslave. You can choose from all of that. But theres no way Audioslave are splitting up and theres NO way theyll reform RATM from what I keep hearing from the band.
    LaLaLaLoopy
    Zach is awesome,one of the best belters out there but Chris is a complete vocalist.
    Cobalt Blue
    Zach has a killer energy, but i prefere Chris if i had to choose... Chris doesn't do so great on the Rage covers.. i heard em do killing in the name of and it sounded good... but Sleep Now In The Fire live in cuba... he sings it mellow at all the wrong times.
    SlinkyMcdougall
    Cobalt Blue, thats exactly what i thought. It kinda made me cringe....and when he tried to jump up and down, it looked just dumb. But compared to all other rage songs, its low-key.