Audioslave review by Audioslave

• Released: Nov 19, 2002
Audioslave: Audioslave

As a debut album, Audioslave was certainly impressive. As compared to both Rage's and Soundgarden's past work, even more so. Tom Morello's unique styles are more prominent than ever on this album, while Chrish Cornell is at his very best. Tim Commerford's bass performance, however, is average when put against his works on "Evil Empire". As for overall sound, you can definetly hear bits of Soundgarden and bits of RATM. The Grunge is still there and the Funk is intact. Any fans of either band should be satisfied. Overall, nothing I would really need to complain about, although I noticed a missed opportunity when it came to the lack of mentionable bass performances.

Can't say much about the lyrics. While I personally love Chris' voice with this kind of music, the actual lyrics on this album did not please me as much. I would much more enjoy the political rage of Zack, or the deeper, more critical and sometimes sorrowful songs of early Soundgarden. They were blatant, and to the point. Short, and quick statements that would remind some of Pearl Jam's more recognized songs. Some might enjoy this, but I did not.

The one thing I can say was amazing about this album was the guitar solos, and Chris' high notes. My one complaint is that Tim was not at full potential. This is definelty as must have in a collection of Grunge, Funk Metal, and harder Alternative. A staple in the history of Rock, for sure. Mentionable songs are definetly: "Cochise" - An amazing start to the album. "Show Me How To Live" - The best example of a Rage/Soundgarden blend. "Gasoline" - A song with a country twang that will have you humming it for hours on end and tapping your toes.