Out of Exile review by Audioslave

• Released: May 24, 2005
Audioslave: Out of Exile

Audioslave has definitely progressed in songwriting from their first try, going from crunching guitar, frankenstein drumming and monotone lyrics to flowing guitar, great drumming and lyrics with a band sound that just fits. What more can I say? But seriously, morello, ease up on your solos. The old school noise on Doesn't remind me and dandelion were the only solos that fit the mood. And maybe the minor scale in Be Yourself.

Lyrics were another thing that became better, with Be Yourself blowing me away; Cornell knows how to sing with some of Morello's simpler background riffs. I particularly liked Your Time Has Come, though Cornell is almost entirely drowned out in some portions. The part of the album where Cornell simply sucked was in Drown Me Slowly's and The Worm's choruses, great phrases, but butchered in some parts by Cornell's voice being so obviously strained.

Audioslave needs to find a musical niche. Out Of Exile was a great demonstration if Audioslave wants to play a bit of everything, but I find myself putting songs into two different categories; hardcore muscle (The Worm, Man Or Animal) and easier rock, stuff that sounds like it came out of the '70s (Dandelion and Doesn't Remind Me). Audioslave, overall, I find a great listen. Definitely my favorite band, but if I were to change anything about it, I would take the whine out of Morello's solos and put more old school into it.