Out of Exile review by Audioslave

• Released: May 24, 2005
Audioslave: Out of Exile

I expect many people looking into audioslave are curious of the Rage Against The Machine/Soundgarden thing. And they sound not much like either. There is less aggression than on a RATM album, partly due to Zakk De La Rocha not being there. Similarly, it's a far way from Soundgarden's grunge. Tom Morello is on top form with his effect-loaded solos, although at times you wish he'd be a little more conventional. The rest of the band are fine and Morello fits in really well, he doesn't sound like he's on a different planet with all his effects etc. There are some good riffs, with guitar and bass coming together beautifully. It's not as rock and sometimes mellow compared to anything RATM & Soundgarden have done, and there are not as many songs like Cochise, with in-yer-face energy. The sound is hard to describe but brilliantly captured.

There is no doubting Chris Cornell's vocal prowess, and he sounds really good on this. A big factor of RATM was the politics behind the lyrics, something Cornell doesnt't factor into his songs. He writes lyrics with meaning and delivers them in a heartfelt way.

When I bought this, it was this or The Battle Of Los Angeles by RATM, and this is really good. Standout tracks are Your Time Has Come, Dandelion and Doesn't Remind Me, although they are all great. I love Morello's sound and Cornell's voice, and I would get it again and again if I lost it. You really need to experience it.