Revelations review by Audioslave

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Audioslave: Revelations

This isn't another hard-pop, post-grunge Audioslave album. Morello wasn't kidding when he said they had gone a different route, calling it something between Led Zeppelin and Earth, Wind and Fire. This album is incredibly beat driven, with the harder stuff comming second. Once again though, Tom Morello has created a whole new sound in his guitar solos. Don't think for moment that he toned it down at all on the distortion and wah pedal, but he does more rhythm than he's done in the past. It reminds me a lot of Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden's stuff a times, like on the song Somedays. Don't get wrong though, this album is very different than anything else the band has done in the past or with Audioslave. Some of the songs that caught my ear are Revalations, Sound Of A Gun, Until We Fall, Original Fire, and Broken City.

On a whole, the lyrics are pretty corny, it sounds like Cornell was trying way to hard. Lines are repeated much more than the band has done in the past. For example, in the song One And the Same, you definitely know that it's called that by the time it's over. His voice, on the other hand, is as good as ever. This album is heavily based on rhythm and beat.

I liked the album on a whole, but I wouldn't say it's as solid as their first two albums. It's missing solid lyrics. If nothing else, this album is worth the buy just to hear Morello. If you're looking for something catchy and/or something to grove to, then you'll love this album. For those who are looking for something more like their old stuff, then you might want to listen to the CD before you buy it, just because it's so diferent. It's the kind of album that grows on you. It can be compared to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper and the Dave Matthews Band's Stand Up in the sense that it's a big change in the band's overall sound that not all will like, but will definitely make the band stronger in the long run.

james86
    well its a different album way far from the previous two albums but I think its better than to have anothe cliche its gud that this album is unique. I also think the songs are much more shorter, this is not the best audioslave record in my collection because of its funkiness but as I've said its much better than to repeat another out of exile. Audiolave is such a unique band you cant find good mucisians in one band
    bs5538
    FUNKY & INTRICATE, I LOVE IT. You've gotta hear it to believe it...
    recliner33
    The album sounds great except for original fire. I don't know why they put the worse track on the cd as the single, one of the reviewers also mentioned that. I don't think it's as good as their first album, but I have a feeling that they made the album sound more like blues and funk so they can surprise us with the next album. The next album will probably be more hard rock and will be their heaviest to date. They just put this out for change, so people won't be bitching that all their stuff sounds the same. I hope I'm right about the next album being really heavy.
    RedHotFan182
    i think everything on this album sounds great including original fire. Their new funky sound makes them sound even better than before. I love the one and the same solo. Thats why Tom Morello is an axe god.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    heavy or not, audioslave is good, true music. the calm songs are just as great as the heavier ones
    FungusInMyMilk
    This album has definitely rekindled my Audioslave 'original fire'-i have not given these guys a listen since their self titled out, compltelty missed out of exile, im definitely going to go find a copy of Out of Exile now, i love Revelations!
    PoizonIVY
    Best Audioslave album!!! Damn, these guys just get better all the time! Audioslave = GENIUS! 9/10. Great job guys!!!!