Revelations review by Audioslave

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Audioslave: Revelations

I had to write this review. I just had to. And I know I'm gonna take a lot of crap for this review, but someone must speak the truth! I'll be honest, I'm a big fan of Audioslave. Probably one of my top 10 bands, but this album was actually dissapointing. The first listen, I didn't like the album at all, but after relistened to it, I thought the sound was decent. Tom's got his usual handful of cool riffs, and a few impressive solos (the others are quite odd). Chris Cornell has a great singing voice, but it seems that through out most of the album he seems to be singing in the same key, causing some repetiveness on the way. There's no real catchy songs here. Nothing really powerful that just drives to your heart like Shadow on the Sun or Like a Stone. And there's nothing really soulful like Be Yourself here. Wide Awake is the high point of this album, and it's good, but it certainly can't carry the rest of the album. And Audioslave on this album have taken a turn into funk town, but it's not really good funk. It's okay funk.

Chris buddy, you repeat yourself a lot on this album. The choruses of Somedays and Jewel in the Summertime go on and on. But other than that the lyrics seem sufficient, but there's no real strong point on this album. And Chris and the rest of the band have gone a little political here in Wide Awake, critizing the Bush administration for their lateness in the involvement of the Katrina disaster. The lyrics are decent, and the best is probably Moth in which Cornell says: "Don't fly around your fire anymore. Been burned and fallen down, so many times before." But that's it! Sigh.

The album is quite honestly average to me. The only real songs that stand out are Bullet From a Gun, Original Fire, and Wide Awake, but they're decent at best. Nothing to get twisted over. Like I said, I'm a big Audioslave fan, both their debut album and Out Of Exile were great, but this one came as a big dissapointment to me. Sorry guys. Maybe next time. I'm pulling for you.

lzstratbrat
    I can't say that this album is my favorite, but because of my love for Audioslave, I'm willing to give it a chance...the album is definitely lacking in intensity, but the different style is interesting. I'm just trusting Audioslave to keep delivering great music!
    lzstratbrat
    by the way....I thank God every day that Chris was ok after his incident! I love him!